Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick random question: what size bulb is used in the dash behind the lower section near the fan control and is the bulb behind the switch? I pulled the lower plastic but didn't see any bulbs. I know I changed it before on my older Passat but not recalling how to get to it. Do I need to pull the knob off or pull the entire control unit out?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
yep, then use a 1/4" piece of vinyl tubing to extract the bulb. One tip I just learned is that sometimes the female contacts inside the switch expand and cause intermittent contact between bulb and socket. In this case you can bend both the leads on the bulb to their respective opposite sides to use the other contacts on the socket side. Hopefully that made sense or will when you get the bulb out. Most likely thought it's just a bad bulb. They should be available at most auto-parts stores although I can't help with a part # as I get all my spares at the junkyard :D

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,588 Posts
yep, then use a 1/4" piece of vinyl tubing to extract the bulb. One tip I just learned is that sometimes the female contacts inside the switch expand and cause intermittent contact between bulb and socket. In this case you can bend both the leads on the bulb to their respective opposite sides to use the other contacts on the socket side. Hopefully that made sense or will when you get the bulb out. Most likely thought it's just a bad bulb. They should be available at most auto-parts stores although I can't help with a part # as I get all my spares at the junkyard :D
I was unable to find the 1.1W, 1.2W, and 2.0W bulbs for my B5 Audi A4 at any local auto parts place, but I did find them at a very reasonable price on eBay Motors -- five for about $15, including shipping. Now my odometer and the top of my tach light up again. (My climate control module also lights up again, because I replaced the entire unit with another eBay find.)

I removed the orange-based bulb with a 4mm hex socket and the square black-based with an 8-point socket -- a 12 would work, as well.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get this going with some vacuum tube and a bulb I got online so that's working fine now. One of the vent lights went out 2 days before the bulb came in so now have to track that down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.