Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Interior Light

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  lasse 
#1 ·
My interior light does not turn on when I open the door, although I can flick it on manually myself. What could be the problem? Can I fix it on my own, or is it a professional's job?

#5 ·
I am having a similar problem... but my light barely works. I have to put the switch in the position "Between two positions" to get the light to turn on. Off turns the light off, on when door ajar works fine, and on is off. If the switch is in the middle of off and door ajar it will turn the lights on, or if it is in the middle of on and door ajar. I have no idea what could haeve happened. I haven't done anything electrical in my car since I got it, and it is a recent problem.

#8 ·
Flashing interior lights

Hi!

I have a similar problem. When I lock the car the interior lights starts flashing, or it doesn't turn off at all.
Have any of you seen this behaviour?

I have tried to pull the interior light switch back and forth ,but still the same. Howerver in OFF pos. the light is off.

Regards, Lasse :cry:

#9 ·
I think there are 3 wires that go the controls on the roof.
One supplies 12v constantly, the other is grounded and the last one is the signals if Doors are open or close.

You might want to get a multimeter and check that the Door signal wire is getting the correct info (ie +ve when doors open and negative when doors close.) If yes then the next step is to trouble shoot the actual controls.

(( I took mine apart when I upgraded to dash lit controls. unfortunatlly my stuff is all packed away because I'm moving, and I can't get to my notes on the control circiut )) :cry:

If your controls are defective then you could get mine at a decent price, its light Beige with potentiometer for Moon roof :thumbup:

#10 ·
Thanks, to start with I will check the voltage in roof console in order to see if the doors are working.
I belive however that I may have some water in the door switches. The fault only seems to occur when it's freezing outside. As soon I park the car indoor it works just fine.
Also thanks for your offer I will get back to you if this dosn't work out for me... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.