Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My interior door handles are sticky, and no, they are not soiled. They seem to be experiencing some kind of chemical decomposition. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thats the "soft-touch" coating that was put on at the factory. After years of temperature and humidity swings it breaks down and forms that sticky mess that you're experiencing. Most people end up sanding the coating off then painting it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I thought I read here that someone recommended rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky coating. Is this true or was it something else? Other than sanding and painting the pieces.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I thought I read here that someone recommended rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky coating. Is this true or was it something else? Other than sanding and painting the pieces.
I removed all the crappy coating from my parts using isopropyl alcohol, but be aware that this stuff will completely dissolve the coating and make a huge mess if you don't hava lots of clothes around. Guess how I know.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I removed all the crappy coating from my parts using isopropyl alcohol, but be aware that this stuff will completely dissolve the coating and make a huge mess if you don't hava lots of clothes around. Guess how I know.
So what is the end result? smooth finish?

The plastic bezel for the master control switch for the door locks, windows and where you pull the doors closed is worn down to the hard plastic. I don't mind that. but a few other places is where I want to get the sticky crap off.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So what is the end result? smooth finish?

The plastic bezel for the master control switch for the door locks, windows and where you pull the doors closed is worn down to the hard plastic. I don't mind that. but a few other places is where I want to get the sticky crap off.
Yes, the result is a smooth plastic finish, which IMO is much better. I just performed this removal technique a few days ago using a isopropyl and a 3M dish scrubbing pad. I have a beige interior, dirt and grime stick to that gunky surface like you wouldn't believe. Before and after.... before.jpg after.jpg

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Perfect!

This is exactly what I want and need to do. I also like the smoothness as apposed to sanding and repainting. I have a black interior but my 01 had the same as yours it the dirt showed up too much.

Thank you

·
Registered
77 Posts
All grey door handles on my 2001.5 Passat were sticky with broken tabs so I replaced all with black handles I bought off ebay. It turned out rear door handles weren't fit (the parts that screws go through were too long). I ended threw them away and bought OE handles for rear doors.

The outer bracket of AC control panel is also sticky. I will use sprybry's method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts