Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Gallup Polls... and found some interesting statistics:

Approximately 85% of American sare Christian in one way or another.

The breakdown for religions area as follows:
-Protestant 51%
-Catholic 26%
-Other Christian 9%
-Jewish 2%
-Other 5%

The percent who considers religion to be VERY important:
-Very Important Part 65%
-Attend Church Monthly 58%

The percent of religious people by age. People become more religious as they grow older (older = closer to death. Coincidence?):
48% 18-29
59% 30-49
65% 50-64
73% 65 and older

Here's link the the short video:
http://www.gallup.com/Poll/Multimedia/video/segments/vr040225.ram

What's more interesting is that the percentage of those who considers religion to be "VERY IMPORTANT" and/or attend church WEEKLY correlates with the percentage who do not support gay marriages.

The Gallup Polls shows the following percentage:

Opposes Gay Marriage
June 03 55%
Oct 03 61%
Dec 03 65%
Feb 6/8 59%
Feb 16/17 64%

Here's the link to the short video on gay marriage statistics:

http://www.gallup.com/Poll/Multimedia/video/segments/vr040220.ram

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
I thought it was that the Assemblies of God had an excellent dating service.

It shows that the majority of people in this country follow traditional family structure and the tidy 5% of the population who are co-habiting unmarried couples tend not to follow organized religion. Who woulda guessed that :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It doesn't even mean that. It only means when one thing changes, something else also happens to change. Linkage can only be inferred ex post, not implied.

Real life example, whenever my wife goes to class, it happens to rain.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you kidding me? You really believe that the everyday decisions people make (Especially law makers!) are not influenced by their own personal beliefs in one way or another? Like true separation of church and state? HaHa! LOL! :roll:

Have you ever studied statistics? If so... then you should know what the term "Statistical Correlation" means.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I've only studied statistics as applied to economics, that is, econometrics. Let's just say I use statistics most of my working days as an economist. I'd bore you to tears if I went into detail.

Statistical Correlation is the ratio of independent variables' covariance to the product of their respective standard deviations. It is a mathematical construct devised by humans to try to describe seemingly related events that occur in nature. Do you have another definition?

But yes, I do think people make everyday decisions based on the influences in their lives and their personal believes. But that doesn't mean people are going to stay single because they don't ascribe to a certain popular religion. No matter how much you measure a mere sample of the universe, you can never be sure your conclusion is correct.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The most intriguing thing I noticed was that the column NO RELIGION had the average divorce rate, many of the religions with a higher rate... What does this say about the presumed religious 'sanctity' of marriage? How does this impact the argument against gay marriage? Interesting... Good post :thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Spirare said:
The most intriguing thing I noticed was that the column NO RELIGION had the average divorce rate, many of the religions with a higher rate... What does this say about the presumed religious 'sanctity' of marriage? How does this impact the argument against gay marriage? Interesting... Good post :thumbup:
The divorce rate would be the percentage of marriages that end in divorce. The number you are looking at is simply the percentage of people that are divorced. The divorce rate cannot be calculated from the numbers there, but given the much smaller percentage of that group that is married, it is likely the divorce rate would be relatively high for them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if you join Church of God, you have the best chance of losing your spouse???
Don't marry someone from the Church of God, it'll kill ya. :nervous:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts