Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ee9e7d3/7312

Poster is upset that VW is not standing behind her 2001 Passat with a seized engine. Not all details are clear, but it looks like most service done at the dealership and she exceeded the 5,000 mile OCI. I calculate she's averaging 7,000 miles between changes.

She's not going to go quietly into the night....

·
Super Moderator
14,170 Posts
Then again, VW hasn't made a decision on if its covered or not. My guess is they'll cover it if it was an oil sludge problem.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Urlik said:
Then again, VW hasn't made a decision on if its covered or not. My guess is they'll cover it if it was an oil sludge problem.
Read a little further down....http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ee9e7d3/7321. VW says :thumbdow: .

Well, she DID exceed the OCI. And the dealer probably used dino. I'd say ole 'Traceya' is screwed. I keep feeling like there's more to this than has appeared so far. I can tell ya, she's gonna post on every VW thread there is on Edmunds over this.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,164 Posts
They made a decision... they denied it. Total BS.

She wasn't perfect with maintanance, but she wasn't abusive. Adding a couple of thousand of miles to an oil change a couple of times does not cause an engine to seize unless there is a problem... which we know there is.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pass-variant said:
They made a decision... they denied it. Total BS.

She wasn't perfect with maintanance, but she wasn't abusive. Adding a couple of thousand of miles to an oil change a couple of times does not cause an engine to seize unless there is a problem... which we know there is.
Like I said, I keep getting the feeling that there's some vital info missing from the picture.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The euro OCI has been 15,000 km since at least 98'. A VW approved spec'd oil or ACEA A3 oil should be used (most likely synthetic). I've followed this schedule for more than 5 years. I've gone between 3,000 and 9,300 (15,000 km) on Valvoline Synpower 5W40 which DOES have VW approval and ACEA A3 approval since 99'. I had the dealer spec that I had Valvoline Synpower 5W40 on my work order a few times but not always.
I'm sure I'd have an interesting case if I becomed sludged--have 115,000 miles.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
I'd have denied her too. There are two really key points to this:

First she said she can't prove some of the changes, and then she adds that some of them were done at 8k miles.

And not to be TOTALLY jaded about it, but the customers that make the biggest stink dragging a dealership through the mud are the ones that have lied. Nearly EVERY time.

Sorry, go buy your own engine.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have to agree with Sharky here. I also don't think that a sludged engine will just suddenly seize and need replacement. A gradually and increasingly oil starved engine burps, then gets indigestion, then complains, then whines, then screams before it capitulates. If you get oil warning lights or buzzers you shut off the engine until you figure it out.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i also agree with sharky. first, she can't prove she did all the maintenance. secondly, she admits that she changed at 8k, and said that she did 8 changes total with 56k, or an average of 7000 between changes. if she had followed vw's recommendation and done the changes at 5k, and kept records of all of them, then vw would have to warranty it. whether or not it would've sludged at 5k is another story.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Possibly from her perspective, the flip side of Traceya's issue;

I have always done all my oil changes myself. I bought a dozen oil filters from the dealer because he gave me a case price like 3 years ago. Anyways how can I have documentation of all my own oil changes? I buy the Mobil 1 oil 6 quarts at a time in a case. Car only holds 4 and that leaves me 2 extras. So if I was to use those 2 and buy another case of 6 I end up with 4 extras now. A free undocumented by oil reciepts oil change. This equals the dealer thinking I skipped that change. Right? ? It basically comes down to "does the dealer believe you". There is a known problem with the 1.8t's sludging up if you go beyond the OCI. Big gray area. Dealer is going to be the bad guy. It's got to suck Sharky for the dudes upfront.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, as long as you document that you bought the oil filters and oil, as well as the time and mileage of oil change, then you should be fine. i use the pentosin(sp?) large jugs, and buy a few at a time, to save on shipping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
All issues aside, VW needs to address the oil sludge issue as something is not right.

I love my B5.5 2003 GLX V-6, but something is indeed wrong with its oil comsumption. I started a thread earlier to get a sense of oil consumption among see:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91223&highlight=

Per my earlier thread, my car has 14k on the odometer. I took it in for the 20k check up (based on time owned not mileage). Obviously, this would be the fourth time I had a VW service. At the time I noted that the car was using about three qts every 5k miles. The technician immediately tried to tell me that I had exceeded the 5K oil change requirement. We agreed that I would return the car after 1K to "verify" my claim.

My point here, is there appears to be an institutional reflex to the oil issue which is counter productive to VW customer satisfaction and future sales.
Bottom line, VW should do the right thing and repair the lady's car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
ericpeterman said:
I have to agree with Sharky here. I also don't think that a sludged engine will just suddenly seize and need replacement. A gradually and increasingly oil starved engine burps, then gets indigestion, then complains, then whines, then screams before it capitulates. If you get oil warning lights or buzzers you shut off the engine until you figure it out.
You're completely right of course...but...

If that woman is anything like my wife, the car would have to be within 30 seconds of spontaneous combustion before she'd notice... :lol:

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you read her story the oil warning light and STOP! Oil Pressure indicator came on. She stopped (to her credit) and checked the oil LEVEL and thought, "The oil LEVEL is fine". (note the confusion on her part between the two) then drove a mile or more as the engine made dying noises that she drove right through.

I am sorry. It might be partly VW's problem that sludge happened, but it is in no case VW's problem that she drove right through two dire warnings from the car. If she had followed common sense, common knowledge, and the owner's manual she would be arguing with VW over a $600 oil pump replacement/pan cleaning bill, not 10 times that for an engine replacement. I'm not speaking from an ivory tower on this. I replaced my own oil pump and turbo DIY because of sludge. If I kept driving I would expect to pay for a new engine out of my own pocket.

I'll also note my minor skepticism over whether this was the first indication of oil pressure problems or not (noises, brief oil pressure light warnings, etc).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.