Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dolly Judger
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 03 passat was throwing the lovely code for about the past 2 years now. The code appeared sometime after I purchased it from a dealership.

Anyways, since we were selling the car, we changed the stupid headlights from HID to stock (the PO had made the mod and the lights were shoddy, sometimes didn't start etc).

Any who, whenever any work is done on the car, the codes are reset, and every time the code returns on the drive home from the mechanic. Except this time.

The light hasn't come back on at all.. its Been almost a week and about 400 miles... the light usually comes back within 5 miles.

So... TL;DR:
If you have an HID kit installed and your passat has the P0411 code, try removing the HID kit first

Hi
Potatoes
Blub
Weeeee 1419374071061.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hmm thats odd.. i wonder if power was being starved from the SAIP. fixed my p0411 by changing the vacuum lines and and the 373 relay in the ecu box

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As much as I like Scott's cheetah blood theory...

The SAIP only operates on a cold start when the is coolant temperature between 41 and 91 degrees F. Odds are it's been cold enough in South Bend (<41 overnight) that the SAIP has never been called to run, and thus the test cycle has never run. So don't hold your breath...

·
Registered
784 Posts
As much as I like Scott's cheetah blood theory...

The SAIP only operates on a cold start when the is coolant temperature between 41 and 91 degrees F. Odds are it's been cold enough in South Bend (<41 overnight) that the SAIP has never been called to run, and thus the test cycle has never run. So don't hold your breath...
are you sure those are the temps? ive had mine come on in the 20s. only for a couple moments, but it comes on. unless in hearing another electrically driven rotating mass. who knows on this car.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
are you sure those are the temps? ive had mine come on in the 20s. only for a couple moments, but it comes on. unless in hearing another electrically driven rotating mass. who knows on this car.
Well, yes and no... I pulled them from Bentley, but you made me look at the V6 section, and the answer is a little different there. And remember these are coolant temperatures, although after being parked overnight that should pretty well equal ambient.

So:
AWM 1.8T: 41-91°F/5-33°C (ref Bentley p. C26-4)
ATQ V6: 59-95°F/15-35°C (ref Bentley p. D26-5)

Another interesting difference, while we're on the topic:
AWM: SAIP runs for 100 seconds max
ATQ: SAIP runs for 60 seconds max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts