Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Confused
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not 100% positive on this, but on the B5 sedans there was an electric switch that allowed you to release the trunk if the doors were unlocked (right above the license plate on the trunk itself). With the B5.5, that feature was taken away for the sedans (the wagons still had the switch on the hatch).

While installing a rear view camera for my B5.5 sedan, I figured I'd use that space where the rubber grip is to open the trunk (since I have a B5.5 and no switch there). It would give me a central mounting point for the camera and also I'd avoid drilling into the bodywork. While I took everything apart in that area, I found a microswitch for the trunk release! There is unfortunately a blank plastic plate right above the switch that prevented its function. I removed the blank and in the housing, there were provisions for a hinge mechanism. Here are some photos:

Location of the rubber grip and switch

The switch

A closeup of the switch.

This is the blank plate right above the switch.

Note the holes that would act as a hinge for a switch cover/pusher.

Back of the switch (all the wiring for the plate lights and trunk release switch are run through the housing and hidden)

I did a search, but couldn't find any reference to this. I think it would be easy to retrofit an exterior electric trunk release using some simple parts from a B5 sedan. I may have to consider a new location for my backup camera!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,287 Posts
You could try looking at b5.5 wagon parts for that since the grab handle microswitch actually does actuate the latch on those models.

Reactions: mikerockss

·
Registered
692 Posts
Im also interested in putting a rear view cam in my b5.5 but i don't want to use one of the plate frame cameras, just don't look OEM like.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
FWIW, I hate the way the BCM has set up the rear hatch for the wagons. The microswitch is only active when the fob or driver door switch has been actuated. I would prefer the hatch switch to be active whenever the doors are all unlocked. Minor PITA, but anyways..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m retrofitting an aftermarket back up camera to my 2013 vw cc. I’m planning on installing the camera on my license plate. When i was looking for a good spot on where to drill the hole for the cables i realized that i don’t have access to fish the camera cables after i insert them. In essence i can drill the hole, push the cables thru but i can’t grab them on the other end to connect them to the reverse light. I removed the protective plastic guard on the inside and all i see is metal. Am i missing something here? Thank you

·
Registered
763 Posts
I’m retrofitting an aftermarket back up camera to my 2013 vw cc. I’m planning on installing the camera on my license plate. When i was looking for a good spot on where to drill the hole for the cables i realized that i don’t have access to fish the camera cables after i insert them. In essence i can drill the hole, push the cables thru but i can’t grab them on the other end to connect them to the reverse light. I removed the protective plastic guard on the inside and all i see is metal. Am i missing something here? Thank you
Well, since your license plate is attached to the bumper cover, you'll probably need to remove the bumper cover to route the wires. ;)

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,287 Posts
It's really annoying when people can't post in the right threads. A CC is not a B5 passat and has nothing to do with this thread.

Anyway, there is a rubber grommet in the trunk that leads to that area with the wiring for the license plate lights. Should have gotten the VW Scirocco camera and just cut a little hole. Looks perfectly stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts