Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '03 Variant to a local dealer for 5000 mile service. I had previously switched the car computer to European settings because I want to have metric units on the MFD. Unfortunately this change also switches the odometer to kilometres instead of miles and I didn't bother switching back to U.S. settings before I took the car to the dealer. I told them about this when I dropped the car off.

I just picked the car up and was not very surprised to find out that their paperwork shows that the current mileage is 8042 miles. The service advisor refused to convert it to kilometres and told me that they could be fined for $15 000 for tampering with the mileage! He also told me that I could get into a big trouble with law for doing what I've done. I told him it's bull and I have not tampered with the mileage nor am I requesting them to tamper with it. I just switched it to metric units. He replied by telling me that it's impossible to switch back and forth between miles and kilometres! :crazy: Yeah, it takes about a minute with VAG-COM.

At this point I don't know whether I should laugh or be angry. They promised to put my current mileage into their computer as kilometres but stupid of me I didn't ask for new paperwork. I guess I have to go back and ask for a proof to avoid any future problems with VW denying warranty by claiming that I missed my 5000 mile service by 3000 miles. :nervous:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
He has a point I think but really hard to say. I am in Canada and we use kms...I never knew how to read miles anyway...

Good Luck!

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
He has NO point.

He does not know what he is talking about.

We know this because he is a SERVICE ADVISOR.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Sharky said:
He has NO point.

He does not know what he is talking about.

We know this because he is a SERVICE ADVISOR.
...And we've learned that "SERVICE ADVISORS are just secretaries for the techs!" :lol: :lol:

I thought that was one of Sharky's better observations of the world around us.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Exact same thing happend to me. Service X I had it in km, and it read 25,XXX... I told him that he would either have to use the metric units, or convert it to miles, and his head cocked to the side like a clueless Golden Retriever.

Went back for Service X+1, and he (same guy) recorded the milage, and he noted that it was lower than the previous service. I reiterated that the previous was in km, and he gave me the "impossible" line. So I told him that he must have made a mistake last time, or possibly this time... "you should go back and check now just to be sure" I told him... so he did :p

... I could still see the confused look on his face as I drove it out of there :roll:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PhatRabbitzz said:
You went to Jim Elliss on 41 Cobb Pkwy didn't you? :p
Well, let's just say that I went to a very well known local dealership. :roll:

Rich P said:
Go back to the dealership with the VAG-COM and show them
Great suggestion - I might actually do it. Who knows, maybe the SA calls the Feds and gets me in "big trouble" for "tampering with mileage".
I have to go back sometime next week anyway to get a bad seat heater switch replaced cause they did not have new ones in stock.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you have a problem at the Jim Ellis Dealership on cobb parkway next to Dobbins, ask for Rick Pissanti. Me and him go back to when he first came to Atlanta and people from the local community were calling his house giving death threats to his family. Some F'ed up shiot. They don;t have a great rep, but that guy is honest (if he still works there) and he can take care of you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
waGner
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing