Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
"The only "gotcha" with the waste gate is that it must be able to flow enough gas to let the turbo slow down. If it can't, then you get "boost creep" where boost levels slowly grow as the car remains under boost. Bad."

why is this bad?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
"The only "gotcha" with the waste gate is that it must be able to flow enough gas to let the turbo slow down. If it can't, then you get "boost creep" where boost levels slowly grow as the car remains under boost. Bad."

why is this bad?
Boost creep means you end up running more boost than you want to. Generally when someone picks a boost level to run, it's because of reliability or because any more would be inefficient and not make any more power - rarely do you just want to run as much boost as the turbocharger possibly can (that's why we have wastegates in the first place).

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
IDriveB5 said:

why is this bad?
Because they don't stop. Timing and fuel can't keep up, and it's not controllable.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I know it didn't mean this, but I'm telling myself it just said to drive with WOT to get the best gas mileage. My wife's gonna love the way I drive her A4 now.......lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
B5V6
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing