Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attended a track day almost 2 months ago, the track consists of more right hand tight turns than left, so naturally my left tires were worn more than my right, but the car drives fine afterwards...

Fast forward to yesterday, I rotated the tires front and back, and my alignment, steering is all stuffed!! :shock: the car would not track straight, I can't take my hand off the steering wheel for more than 3 secs, the steering wheel is off center, the tires would follow the grooves in the road and so on... :???:

I thought I must have some how bumped the tie-rods so the alignment is off...

But today I did some more experiments, roughly checked the front toe, seems spot on, and check the tie-rod length left and right, pretty much the same... swap the front tires left and right, went for a drive, still the same.. so I rotated the tires to the original setup before the first rotation...

The car is fine again!! 8)

When the rear tires was at the front, I hear no abnormal sound, the tires all rotated nicely, nothing visually wrong...so what's going on here? :roll:

Mod: sorry if this belongs in the wheels/tires forum...

Mike :)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
PZ said:
Belt shift in the rear tire would be my guess.
yeah, also if you rotated left to right, instead of front to back the uneven wear of going around more right hand turns would cause the tires now to be worn really really weirdly.

i would say that there is a 99% chance that it is just your tires. try rotating them front to rear instead of right to left or just leave them the way they were until they are unsafe and get new ones.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Probably just weird tires, espeically if they are directional.

However, a bad tire in the right place can and sometimes does make a bad alignment feell like a good one.

I'd go to a place that has a Hunter Road Force tire balancer and have all 4 tires rebalanced, checked for roundness, and for wheel runout.

If that turns up nothing, have them align it..

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please elaborate on "Belt Shift", what causes it, where or what is the damage, sysmptoms etc... thanks..

Yeah, all the signs point to problems in the rear tires, but completely throwing the alignment off and the steering wheel not pointing straight is what really confuses me, when they are absolutely fine at the back...

Good thing they are near the end of their life, so they'll probably be just rolling around at the rear till they're gone.....

Mike :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.