Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...theres alot of them on eBay. Which leads me to have the urge of piecing together a front mount IC and hardpipe kit for my car for very little $$$$ AFter installing a pre-fab kit on one of the EVOs i realized what a difference it makes.

Anyone try something like this before; buying bends, pipe lengths, and couplers from whoever? It would be so trick if I could do it myself and save hundreds, not to mention all the fun ripping my car apart

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aldolicious77 said:
well if u can make one for your self , cheaper than the one sout there....then u can make acouple for us :)

there on ebay for 750 ABD...ETc......
Seriously!! $750 blah blah blah.....Im talking like no more than $300 w/ a used FMIC from another car.....maybe an EVO 8 IC or something like that, and 2.75" pipe. All I need to do is get a free day upcoming weekend to rip the front end off my car and get some measurements to see if its possible w/out custom bending.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you can weld and cut metal, it can be done. I thought about it, but too much effort for the limited time I have. You can buy straight and mandrel bent pipes for about $100. Get some silicone connectors and an intercooler. If you shoot me a PM, I can probably find the place that we get the pipes from and I may have a good source for intercoolers, but you need to measure and find out what will fit under your bumper with little or no mod.

You can go with new stuff for about $450. Of course used will be less. Heck we did a turbo with an intercooler on a guys Civic for like $400. All used stuff of course, and he runs like 12psi no prob.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
scfb518t said:
...theres alot of them on eBay. Which leads me to have the urge of piecing together a front mount IC and hardpipe kit for my car for very little $$$$ AFter installing a pre-fab kit on one of the EVOs i realized what a difference it makes.

Anyone try something like this before; buying bends, pipe lengths, and couplers from whoever? It would be so trick if I could do it myself and save hundreds, not to mention all the fun ripping my car apart
I was going to do this myself too. I found a company who can do intercooler core for you, http://www.intercoolers.net, I met this guy at the Sema show, he said he can sell me a core for $300. Then I found another guy who is doing selicone hoses, he said he can do it for $150. But the main problem is intercoolers.net doesnt have a brackets for Passat, but if you have welding skills you can do it yourself. Other problem that guy who sels hoses he doesnt have exact fitment for Passat but he said if you show him an example he can do it. Finding a core is not a problem, find a right hoses is a problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
wait so I could buy an IC get someone to bend the pipes and get the correct lengths and get some brackets and ide be straight......if its that easy why dont more do that.....and what exactly are couplers...
Thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I thought I "felt" my name being used somewhere on this site. I just had to look at this one.

Anyhow, yes, I built my own FMIC and it works great. It could be a bit bigger (where have I heard that before? :roll: ), but it does it's job great and there is no added lag because of a larger core.

This is what I started out with, a FMIC from a Dodge Charger 2.2 Turbo.

With some home brew fab. work it turned into this:

The IC mounts to the back of the aluminum bumper bar. It's a great way to mount a larger FMIC as well. But a little thought has to go into making the brackets work. I drilled and tapped the holes in the bar so that larger, course threaded bolts could be used. The IC is held on very securely.

The pipes were actually easier than I thought they would be. Like Jesse suggested I bought several different types of mandrel bent, 2" exhaust piping from JCWhitney's online catalog.

I bought the blue silicon connector hose from a local speed shop. That stuff ain't cheap! :shock:

And the end result was great. Cooler intake temps and less HP loss during the hot summer months. The car runs great! :thumbup:

The car also has these little darlings hosing down the FMIC when needed for that extra level of cooling.

She now looks something like this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Chas

your method will only work for the 98-99 model year cars. I know that you know this already but just clarifying for others.

MY 00 and up have a boost sensor mounted on the intercooler outlett pipe that must be hooked up, so additional fab work is needed.

Pete

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yes, this is true and I have often wondered how you could get around that. A boss could be welded to one of the outlet pipes to provide the port needed for the boost sensor. Or you could use a two more silicon couplers with clamps and cut the section with the boost sensr from the stock SMIC and graft it in place that way. There are always ways to do this sort of work. :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Oh, and BTW, this is my next attempt at building a FMIC. This is the core for a Z-Flow FMIC. The flow will go from top to bottom, in on the right top and out at the left bottom. :thumbup: 8) This will be slightly larger than the one I have now, but should be even more efficient. 8)

·
Registered
350 Posts
How about this core to start with? 12" wide, 9" tall, 2" thick, and 2.5" piping for $200. Then maybe some new brackets welded on and pipes/silicone from JC Whitney?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
RAWERW said:
I believe that Chas did this, maybe ask him how he did it :wink:
Yes he did. Chas used a Starion/Conquest Intercooler and fabbed his own pipies and connectors. Runs great!

Drop him a line and ask him more about the specifics.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Perce said:
How about this core to start with? 12" wide, 9" tall, 2" thick, and 2.5" piping for $200. Then maybe some new brackets welded on and pipes/silicone from JC Whitney?
definitely browsing JC Whitney as soon as I get a chance. Front is almost off my car, cant wait to get measurements!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
scfb518t
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing