Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dave this mod is a good idea. What this mod does is give the air (that is already) flowing through the intercooler a more defined way to escaped from under the bumper. When you allow a better flow of air to the intercooler you make it more effective or at least more consistent. This is the easiest low buck mod you can do to inprove the airflow to the intercooler short of swithing to a front mount intercooler. I don't think that anyone has measured any temperature before and after the mod but I am sure it would just make the readings more constant.
The easiest way to vent the fender liner is to buy a 1/2 inch holesaw jack up the car and take off the wheel. then take a sharpie or some chalk and layout where you would want the holes. Then check behind so that you don' t put any holes in the intercooler and drill your premarked hole very carefully. The most of the work will me jack up the car and taking off the wheel the rest of the work will take about 5 minutes to mark and drill.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. Makes sense. Do you have any pictures and have you done this to your Passat? My only concern is the chance of water and crap getting back into the intercooler. I've seen some use a S4 fenderliner and cutting out the vent and set it in the Passat fenderliner.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I haven't done the mod but when my belly pan decided he wanted to strike out on his own it ripped a triangular shaped hole in the wheel liner directly behind the IC.

I had a minimal gains in pep (prob mostly mental) after that. I did notice that the IC became dirtier faster but some degreaser on it everytime I wash the car takes care of that.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i just installed the S4 fender on my car. some of the holes don't line up, and there is a slight gap, but i found that to be the easiest way.

if you do make your own holes, make sure they are pointed downward, so that it'll minimize the dirt going into the intercooler.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
i did hear you can put a plastic vent in therew instead of just drilling holes. I want to do it but i want it to look nice without having to buy the S4 Audi one, too much money :lol: . Any input for the plastic vent out there?. Good Post David :thumbup: .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is great info. I've been doing some research on some other venting options and found that there are some great vents you can buy from a boat supply store.

I'm still leaning toward an S4 fenderliner and cut it up....

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the Audi TT wheel well liner for about 20 USD from a Audi dealer and this was my first mod :p

The TT liner is not the best as the wheel well I would "vent" on my Passat is twice the area actually the TT can cover, but hey, I am sure it is at least better than nothing...

I would not go with the sheet of metal or simply ribs made of metal as it looks to me the sound of small rocks and sand from the wheels hitting the metal will be heard while driving...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
xjanPST
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing