Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend after long time I had the chance to work on something I had on mind long time.
To install an intercooler vent and to paint my calipers

I bought from Home Depot a regular vent for heating (8X6inches) but there is other sizes that fit too. The price was about $5.
I also bought THX brake caliper paint blue from Auto zone for $8

I jack the car (winter rims shown....)

Rotors are black from the OEM pads.....(I had mintex and I did change them)

I sandblast the rotors to clean all the dust and dirt....
mask the plastics,and hoses.....

and paint them 2 coats ....
after I took the vent and trimed it to make it straight with no edges or curves.....

I took out the liner from inside the fender...it has like 8-9 hex screws...holding it...
and i cut an opening 7X5 inches right behind the intercooler. I made holes with a drill for the rivets...I put the vent and i secured it with rivets....(the vent needs litlle bent in order to mold with the liner.

Then I paint the liner with primer and then with black paint and voila!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then ... the Summer rims!!!!!!!!!

I know its not an RS4 OEM....but doing it from scratch is PRICELESS!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paint still looks glossy...dont know for how long...it was $3 more than dulpicolor high heat! It takes about 20 mins to dry!
I also change pads to Mintex due to brake dust!!! and then at 1 am I had to bed the pads....so I think they dry at once :lol:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i ended up just installing the whole s4 fender liner onto my car, and it fits ok, except for the piece to the left of the vent. i'll just cut a piece of the old liner, and install it in the opening

8)

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I need to do that, nice install bro, does it run much cooler? or do you feel a difference driving, let me know by PM if possible, i would appriciate the info :thumbup:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
i couldn't tell a difference. the temp gauge stays the same. i got it because i'm getting chipped and gonna put in fogs, which will reduce some air to the intercooler. 8)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi jtpassat!

How could the airflow be any worse? I mean sure, it might not make _as much_ of a difference as say, if he used the vent from the S4 (as it's an "engineered solution") - but I don't see how it could actually make things worse.

Abe

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
aldolicious77 said:
so hows that caliper paint....looks good..and ncei and cheap...does it give that glossy look?...or is it kinda flat after a couple of days...? you let id dry overnight
?
I used the Plasti-Kote caliper paint when I did mine .. dries in 5 min with the help of a hair dryer .. at 3 coats per caliper I finished in 2 hours and the gloss remained from May till mid winter.

Pix available if you want one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The roads in NYC are bad especially many of them are being repair after the harsh winter.

My question will the small debris or rocks hit the Intercooler through the vent if I do this mod??

Thanks for your input!!

2000 B5 20V

·
Registered
802 Posts
Abe, I didn't say it makes it worse what I'm saying is that it's not going to make much of a difference. If you're going to go through the effort of cutting up your liner, might as well use the right vent. I wish I could find that review, it was about a year ago when I read it.

abegetchell said:
Hi jtpassat!

How could the airflow be any worse? I mean sure, it might not make _as much_ of a difference as say, if he used the vent from the S4 (as it's an "engineered solution") - but I don't see how it could actually make things worse.

Abe

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
keon said:
The roads in NYC are bad especially many of them are being repair after the harsh winter.

My question will the small debris or rocks hit the Intercooler through the vent if I do this mod??

Thanks for your input!!

2000 B5 20V
i think it'd be pretty hard, since the vents are angled downward. if there was no angle, or if it was angled upward, then i could see it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts