Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a thread up about how to remove the stock intercooler on a 2000 1.8T If not then how do you do it?. I did a search but found nothing on removing it. Thanks

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
i've never noticed a thread on this topic.

seems like once you have the bellypan off from beneath it'd unbolt.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't remember excactly, but I just took mine out of my '00 b5. I had the belly pan off, and the front bumper removed as well. The black plastic air duct that directs airflow into the front of the ic just pops off. If I remember correctly, there were a few mounting bolts on the bottom (i think) and the top had two rubber stoppers (visible from the engine bay, looking down.) Those two rubber plugs/stoppers fit into the metal mounting bracket. (See pic below for a pic of the metal mounting bracket, with the 2 holes where the rubber stoppers were, ic removed, this is from the rear of the driver side engine compartment facing forward looking down. You can see a piece of black rubber headlight bulb cover- the shiny black piping is from my FMIC.)

I didn't have the patience to find out how to remove these things correctly, so I just yanked and twisted the ic until they popped free. Not exactly the prettiest method, but it worked, and didn't damage anything.

·
Registered
310 Posts
APR.... here are a few pics of the install:

Some people say that you will have to modify the bumper to make this thing fit, but as long as you aren't scared of a few zip-ties, it fits tight (without an inch to spare) and is actually a pretty stealth looking FMIC if you don't take the lower grills off. I also moved the license plate up about an inch to get it out of the way.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts