Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2003 VW Passat 1.8T AWM engine FWD Automatic, 138k miles. I was getting onto the highway behind a semi and had to floor it to merge, upon accelerating, the car clunked very hard once and both the CEL and ASR lights now remain lit indefinitely. The car also shifts QUITE rough when going from Park to Drive, and slightly rough in normal driving gear to gear, more-so when downshifting/slowing down.

The code reads P0101 indicating MAFS but before I go get a can of the cleaner and take the airbox apart and try to clean the MAFS, I'd rather get some opinions if anyone has had the same issue. The air filter is new and seated properly for what it's worth.

I have looked through the forums for a similar issue but haven't seen anything describing this particularly. Please leave a link if one exists but most of the other issues did not involve a violent shift from park into drive!

THANKS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue on my 2005 Passat GLS 1.8. Accelerating after a semi moved over up a large hill, felt a jerk and immediately ASR came on. After stopping and restarting car ASR stayed on with CEL.

I checked main air hose lines and all were connected properly, but did find a crack in the secondary air injection hose. I haven't been able to unclip and remove the MAFS.

Anyone have any insights or tips?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been driving the car and half the time if shifts just fine into Drive... Can't tell if it's running Limp or not so I only drive when I have to, but it does jerk a bit if I have to stop quickly and it is shifting down as I slow down.

It just seems weird that this would be a MAFS issue and I've read that it could really be like 4 other things even when the code says MAFS. Ive needed new motor/transmission mounts for quite some time now and am not sure if that's why it jerks. Maybe the "MAFS" issue is more subtle with stable mounts?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
scan for codes yet? that's the first step. Even a $15 bluetooth ELM327 and an app should get you something.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,065 Posts
Sorry, missed that post.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16485/P0101/000257
With a basic ELM327 scanner that I mentioned and an app like Torque or OBD auto doctor, you can read the MAF airflow to see if it is also giving you correct g/s. Also check the short and long term fuel trims a/f with those apps to pinpoint the issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem with my older car where it would shift hard as if there was no ""clutch"" in between ,
but was gone when I disconnected the battery to reset every thing.

Before anything just try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to reset all the computer data and the CEL. hopefully its not a major issue .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts