Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i used the snap on laser thermometer on my intake system today and was impressed. i have the evo intake with my own custom heatshielding along with the new south power gasket. after a good hour and a half of abusive driving i pulled in my driveway and read the temps. the turbo housing read 899+ deg F, that as high as the meter could measure. the turbo side of the heat shield i installed read 486 deg. while the inside of the shield supplied by evoms read 92 deg, the maf 88 deg, and the air filter element 84 deg. what i was really happy with was with the powergasket and my own intake heat shielding the intake hose and the intake manifold both measured at 95 deg. i'm going to take the same readings from my girlfriends stock b5 and compare them.

all temps are deg. F and outside air temp was 76 deg.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought some turbo heat wrap from summit for $60 and i screwed the factory heat shield to the evo shield and insulated between them and also insulated the plastic cover that goes on top of the intake. i used the same stuff on the intake hose and to cover the coolant lines that run by it, also my fuel lines are wrapped in it near the turbo. i'll put up some pics today of shields and the infrared thermometer readings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts