Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Times coming to renew insurance. After my recent accident (not at fault) and progressive doing shit to help. It's been a month and they still haven't called back to ask what's going on so fuck them. I'm probably switching.

State Farm won't insure me since I haven't had my license 3 years. The gecko wants $1066 for the usual minimums and $500 Comp and $1000 Coll deductible. Progressive wants 1098 for 250 Comp and 1000 Collision.

Allstate wants around 1150 or something.

Hows experience with the green lizard?

·
Registered
65 Posts
GEICO is a fine company... It's owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet's company. They used to be a preferred/super-preferred market only and would quickly drop you if you had an accident. Now they've caught on the what Progressive did and realized that they could put a lot more rate on riskier drivers and make money in the standard and even substandard markets.

In your search for new coverage, you might want to contact an independent insurance agent as well. They may know of a company that specializes in your type of risk...

I had GEICO years ago and had a claim with no trouble. I'd follow up with Progressive again - they should be doing something on your claim. If you get no satisfaction, contact your state insurance department - they love to whack insurance companies for bad claim practices... For Florida, I believe the agency that handles this is the department of financial services (http://www.fldfs.com/)...

Good luck...

BigLarry

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Progressive sucks.
They'll make you bleed to get every penny you deserve. "You sure that broken arm is from the accident?" "Can't really prove that.".... yes, as rediculous as that.

My favorite was the agent that called a friend while she was in the hospital and drugged to hell. He wanted to stop by or get together for lunch so they could go over some stuff that he had for her to sign. Amazingly after her attorney called the agent back, he didn't want to have lunch with him.

Rediculous.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Progressive isn't doing anything because I don't have collision on my policy. While I understand that, a little advice on what I need to do in the process and how to deal with adjusters would have gone a lot farther than just "call AIG."

Right now it's a toss up between Esurance and Geico.

I still can't believe AIG tried to stick me with 10% liability with a police report citing the other driver and stating I was in the clear and having an witness. Luckily I found a law firm that was nice enough to do some work at no charge and got it down to 5%. But thats still $476 out of my pocket.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah, these 1/2 stepping, bojangling, insurance companies are a stone trip. I've been with GEICO for the last 20 years and have no issues with them. I was able to get my parents benefits because I was insured under their policy when I was a 16.

Do you own a home or have rental insurance? Usually insurance companies give discounts if you have multiple policies. I'm not sure about ESurance, so I would stick to the staple companies.. Nationwide, GEICO, Allstate, StateFarm, Farmers, USAA, etc..etc..

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Weird to read this about progressive. I had a few claims with them back when I had a horrible driving record. Each time they handled it with out fail, and well over my expectations. Recently I had a 05 GTI for a short stint, and it was hit and run by a moving company, but someone left a note. I got in touch with owner who had progressive and they handled it quickly too. They even upgraded my rental (so I had a subaru outback) for me since my GTI had literally 100 miles on it.

Maybe it depends on the adjusters in each area.

I have a much better driving record, and now we have Statefarm, for all of our insurance needs
-d

·
Registered
331 Posts
I too have been very happy with Progressive online. I've had several claims and they were handled quickly. For me, Prog was easily the best price. I'm very happy with them. I'm sure it does depend on the adjuster. I think you might have to call your agent before a month goes by next time. If I leave a message, Prog has returned the call. Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
As a 30-year member, I'll put in a plug for the Auto Club of Southern California, and presumably for the parent organization, AAA. They have a great reputation, they provided BY FAR the best home reconstruction coverage during the big fires here 2 years ago, and they have competitive auto insurance premiums. They offer various discounts for good students, low-risk professions, multiple policies, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts