Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car got rear-ended about a month and a half ago.
see this thread
Today I checked the oil for the first time since the accident and see the enamel emblem from the engine cover is gone. The guy at the body shop says that you cannot buy the emblem separately, you have to buy the entire engine cover.

Is that true?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got off the phone with the Dwight Harrison parts department and they said you can buy it seperately for $12.93; the body shop guy said the folks at Jim Ellis would only sell the whole cover for $60.67. Dwight and Jim are the two dealers closest to the body shop.

The guy at Dwight said the emblem comes with Adhesive on the back already--just peal and stick.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The part that you buy from the dealer will be a two-piece assembly. The emblem insert (blue and white) is attached to a circular back plate (black) with an adhesive. The back plate attached to the engine cover with three clips that are formed into the back of it. Sometimes the insert just pops out of the back plate and sometimes the whole back plate unclips from the engine cover. Either way you will need to be sure the old back plate is removed from the engine cover, then snap the new part into place.

My replacement didn't come with any adhesive so I used high temperature RTV to hold it in place. I suggest that you use an adhesive of some kind because the clips that hold the emblem to the engine cover don't hold very well.

·
Registered
694 Posts
When replacing mine after it fell off some years ago, I drilled tiny holes sideways through the 3 pins. Then after installing it on the cover, threaded a thin gauge wire through all 3 pins.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
RTV compound is a gasket material that can be purchased in most auto parts stores. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanization. You can get it in different formulations depending on the temperature of the application. A high temp version that is black is available which worked fine for me. Might cost you $5 for a tube of it.

If you have a fine enough drill bit, I like the safety wire idea B5b4therest suggested. It would certainly be a cheaper answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts