Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased some sport springs and I was wondering how much I should expect to be charged by a shop to do it. I stopped by a shop this morning and the guy told me in order to install lowering springs I have to get new upper and lower control arms that go with the springs, a camber kit, alignment, bla bla bla, and more. When I told him that I was pretty sure I didn't have to order all of those items he started saying that I obviously didn't research it.

Any info would be appreciated!!

-Paul

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Obviously he doesn't know what he's talking about...a good install price should be around $200 incl. alignment. and no you don't need to change your control arms to install springs. But to save money you should install sport shocks at the same time, assuming you weren't going to in the first place.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
B5in said:
I just purchased some sport springs and I was wondering how much I should expect to be charged by a shop to do it. I stopped by a shop this morning and the guy told me in order to install lowering springs I have to get new upper and lower control arms that go with the springs, a camber kit, alignment, bla bla bla, and more. When I told him that I was pretty sure I didn't have to order all of those items he started saying that I obviously didn't research it.

Any info would be appreciated!!

-Paul
What a BASTARD :mad:
schmove is right

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I paid $150 without alignment, and the alignment was another $75 (you WILL need it) - so $200-$300 with an alignment is right in the ballpark. Don't let them tell you that you need extra parts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I paid $300 w/o an alignment, so it all comes down to what part of the country you live in, I guess. Stuff is expensive out here!

If you're mechanically inclined at all you should be able to do a spring install on your own. I installed my springs the first time in about 5 hours... had it professionally done the second time when I upgraded my shocks because I don't have a garage any more. Its not a super fun job, but you can do it.

I'd also recommend doing springs/shocks at the same time, but you can get away with stock shocks for 10-20k miles. Just means that you'll have to replace your shocks at some point and perhaps pay for install again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What was that guy talking about??? Giving you an attitude? Need new control arms?? Geez.

I just had Eibach dampers and springs installed for ~$330 dollars... alignment included in that price. That guy obviously didn't do HIS research.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts