Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing a rear sway bar, i understand that this will increase oversteer. i've read quite a few posts on the effects of the bar. i also understand that the b5 comes with a front sway bar already? is this correct? am i just blinded to where the location is? is it in the engine bay, or under the car? anyway, my real question is...when using a rear sway, should the front bar be removed? or should your run both? also, if running both, should the front be upgraded? from what i read, i gathered that the front should be removed when running a lowered suspension. just wanted to clear some of this up before i make the purchase.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why can i not locate the stock sway bar. i've looked, and i just don't see where the bar is mounted. are there certain years that have the bar and certain that don't?

·
Registered
569 Posts
It connects the lower front control arms to each other... can't miss it with the belly pan removed. On another note, you probably don't want to remove the front sway bar unless you have significantly stiffer springs up front.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i should be looking where the control arms are, and look for the connection between them. i hope the front anti-sway isn't that flimsly little wire that the belly pan somewhat covers up. i'll look again.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if i'm not mistaken, there are two huge bolts that are holding the LCA in place underneath the car. one on each side, at parallel spots. i'm sure that is where the sway bar should be installed, yet there is nothing there. does this mean i do not have one? and should i purchase one if this one is not there. if i had a camera i'd take pics. i'll see if i can get one in the next day or two so there can be a better desciption.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from the diagram that looks to be the little flimsy bar that i'm talking about. for those of you that does know where this is, what is the description of the bar. is the bar round, or square? also in reguards to thinkness or diameter. length? i'm sorry but from what i see under the car, i can't imagine that this is the anti-sway bar, compared to what neuspeed is selling. this looks way inferior. does the bellypan attach to the sway bar in any way?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my mistake. i took the belly plate off and i could clearly see the front sway. i guess i would have to go through a trial and error process to see what feels the best after installing the rear sway. thanks guys. if anyone wants to comment on their experiences please do. from what i've read most take the front sway off.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a rear sway bar added and wouldn't dream of removing the front unless I was doing a track day and I wanted the car to oversteer. With the addition of the rear swaybar the car is almost neutral don't remove the front.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
all good points - can't wait to get my shine bar in!

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
It will realy depend on what rear bar you are getting and what suspension setup you have.

On my sedan, I ran a 1BE front sway bar and the Nuespeed 28mm on the stiffest setting. Made for a nice handling car, but it was suceptible to trailing throttle oversteer. That's how I slid off the road and rolled the car. I was going a bit fast, but I was not expecting that much rotation. The suspension was too soft and allowed weight transfer to the front while slowing. I had Eibach springs.

I would use the same sway bar combo if I had another FWD, but I would run stiffer springs and probably set the rear bar on medium.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so basically adding the rear sway will neutralize the car, not induce oversteer. but removing the front bar will induce oversteer. again from what i've read, had a slight oversteer is better than understeer. again like i said i have to go through a feeling out stage. just good to hear what others have done, and learn from their experiences that way.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
I could induce oversteer on a nice long onramp with both bars on my FWD. On my 4MO, the car is more nuetral.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts