Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am having trouble installing the black, plastic nut on the other side of the fender splash liner when I was installing the rear mud guards on my Passat. The diagram from the instruction sheet shows that the nut is used to tighten the screw but when I looked underneath the car to look for the torx screw, everything was pretty much covered up, so could not attach the nut to it.

The first few days, the screw was holding up against the fender liner, but now after driving, the screw seems to be loose. Do I need to drill a hole deeper so that the torx screw will penetrate two layers of liner and body panel underneath?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
What year is your B5. I just installed the rear mud guards on my 2001 B5 Variant this weekend and their is no nut to tighten. You just drill holes through the fender liner and screw into it. I think you are talking about the FRONT splash guards. That install does involve removing one of the factory torx screws, it should just go right back in. You may have to remove that front piece of valance trim in order to put the nut back into place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just installed mine on my 04 a few weeks ago... I used the plastic nut on the drivers side, but on the passenger side I drilled into a metal shield that was behind the plastic liner and the screw grabbed into that just fine. good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine's a 2004.5 sedan. Someone told me that on the variant, you didn't need to use the black nut to hold in the back.

I had no trouble installing in the front, just the back that's giving me problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.