Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar and have a question on installation. Do I need to put the car on jack stands, as instructions say, or can I back it up onto ramps? In other words, do the wheels need to be suspended to do this work? Is there a clearance issue where ramps would be in the way of the install? I don't have jack stands, and would like to put my bar on this weekend w/o having to hunt up some stands, and probably pads. Also, what would you recommend for initial setting? Car has no other suspension mods (yet). I was thinking middle setting. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same question. Neuspeed recommends doing it on jack stands- my guess is for safety reasons. However, I installed mine on ramps with no problem what-so-ever.

It is an easy install- 2 beers from beginning to end. I set mine at the middle position with, what my butt tells me is, good results.

Because of the ease of install and good results, I was tempted to do the front as well, but discussions on the forum have steered me away from it.

If you do the install on the ramps- set the hand brake and chock the front wheels for safety. Good luck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Look at HermanH's profile and corresponding website or go to the information page. He has an excellent write-up there.

·
Registered
26,788 Posts
Its easier on stands to get the bottom bolt out of the shock. That and you have
more clearance over the top of the axle to get the mounting plates in place.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know a rear sway bar is a big help on almost any fwd car, but does anyone here recommend a front one for a v6 passat? I plan on getting a Neuspeed 28mm rear bar eventually, but I don't wanna spend the money for a front one if I don't really need it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
on our car we already have one up front. not really needed or will make as big of diff as jsut the rear. sort of balances out better. check in the GBs, there is about to be one for the rear sway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts