Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

I just bought a set of three small red leds to install in the interior of my 03 Passat Sedan 4Motion. I'm planning to install them in the room for the passenger feets and I want them to be ON when turning ligts on, the same with the other red lights comming with this car.
Can anybody tell me how can I make the electrical connection? Where do I need to connect the 12V cable? How many stuff do I need to remove ...and how?

Another question, I want to get those white lights for the front, can anybody tell me the bulbs model or something to indentify them and where can I buy them?..is EBay an option?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Don't know anything off hand, but you should just try to find a bulb or something that turns on when you turn on the headlights. Splice that for you positive, and just find something as a ground. A multimeter or test light would help you alot.

There is a ambient lighting writeup that is for a B6, I just can't seem to find it right now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
lighting

Allende,

I did this a few months ago to my passat after seeing my friends 07 A4 with footwell lighting. I put Leds (since they draw much less power) in the two front footwells and also underneath the back seat just like the A4. So it lights up the rear footwells as well, and will move with the seat if its position is changed. Just follow this tread and you will be able to do it.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224061&highlight=footwell+lighting

I know the instructions are for a 2006 Passat B6 but the wires you will be splicing into are EXACTLY THE SAME in amount and color and work on all B5, B5.5 and B6. its just the power source for the ashtray. So when i turn on the lights they come on, and when I dim the lights the dim as well. I only used two LEDs per footwell and diffused them so the light would spread easily. I didn't want it as bright as the guy that did the write up lights are. It adds a real nice touch to the interior, especially the rear footwells.. My LEDs are white, but with a black interior the glow looks blue for some reason. I left my headlights on for about 30-45mins with the engine off just to make sure there wasn't a strain on the system. I mean I knew that the LED's didn't take much power at all, but i just wanted to check if anything was going to burn up. HAHA I wanted to to catch fire while i was there, not while I was driving to Vegas..LOL

I got my LED's from Streetglow.com
I also got my lighted outside door handle kit from there to. The last time i was there I see that they have added a 3" and 6" LED strips option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Hi,

Thanks a lot for such a post! It is much than clear...but....I have a little problem here. My car is a Passat Sedan GLX 2003, 4 Motion(I dont know if it is B%, B5.5 or B6, please tell me) and I couldn't find those screws in the "ash tray tray".

I removed the ash tray and tried to remove the outer tray(or inner depending on the point of view) I just found two tabs and removed them but there were no screws and was impossible to put that out. I don't know if there is any other tab or clip or whatever.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Here ya go Cuba..

its sorta weird but you have to work from the back in order to take off the Ashtray

use this link, this is what i used. very very clear instructions

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1390589

I actually think you could get that ashtray out without doing all these steps, but I didn't want to break anything so I just followed it to the letter.
Hope this helps out :)

B5

B5.5

B6

Oh and that middle Passat is bulletproof.. check it out.. I wonder how much it weighs?
http://www.worldwidearmor.com/for_sale_46.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow...just great!!! Thanks a lot b5. I will try it next weekend or sooner. I will post results.

Do you think it is safe to install a little rack for future needs wired to that connection? I mean for installing possible neon lights or maybe other leds. Should I attach a fuse?.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I haven't. Unfortunately I had have no time to do that. I just bought every thing I need because I want to do this only once. I will put a rack in somplace with 4 or 5 connections ready to accept other stuff without pulling all that out again.
Do you suggest anything for that before me to do it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts