Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the topic says, it blows, majorly.

Started working on the car on Tuesday of this past week. Figured I'd give my self a head start. Take out the back seat, some panels, find the hole in the fire wall for this massive pain in the ass 0awg wire, started running RCA cables.

Anywho, that was tuesday, Wed. morning i have class, luckily i got out early so off to my friends house I go (he has a garage and tools, I dont) 11:30 or so. I get 0awg, rca's run and rear speakers installed, get home at 8:15 or so. Yep almost 9 hours to do just that. I got to the point where I wish I never started the installation.

Come back on Thursday, finish up the speaker rings for the front doors, drill out stock tweet holes for replacements, and run the wires. All of which sucked. Also, I get my fuse holder in the mail when i get home at 9:30 from work so I finally get to finish on Fri.

Today comes around, wake up at 10:30 and head over there again. Not much to accomplish today, just need to mount Amp, x-overs and wire everything up. Took longer than expected, but the outcome was worth while.

Like I said, it got to the point where I wish I never started, but after I finished I remembered why I love this hobby so much.

System consists of a Nakamichi Cd-400, Alpine Type X comps up front run by a Linear Power 2.2HV, and Morel Integra 6.5 coax's in rear doors. Sounds awsome, but I'll save the review for the Comps for another topic since this one is long as it is.

Just needed to vent sorta, Later.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell me about it. I figured it would take me a day to get everthing done, well 4 days later, I finally got everything in.

Some blood was shed, curse words were exchanged between my car and myself, all in all I'm extremely happy with my work.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I hear ya!
But like someone already said, a nice job takes time... but it's worth it.

It took me 3 days (about 18 hours in total) just to install a 4-channel amp in my trunk, new speakers in all 4 doors, and some Dynamat.

Jimmy :)

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ryan8186 said:
0 gauge amp wire? I bet that thing has some serious bump in the trunk.
Actually, I've got 0awg run to a dist block where it splits it to 4, and I'm only running the one amp. Mind you this amp is crazy, rated at a mear 13.5 watts per channel, and it will easily produce over a 100 watts per side. And the amp is running my component set. You can read my review of the comps if ya want, its kinda long.

I decided I'd go over board the first time, so when I do add more I wont have to go through the trouble again. And believe me, after doing it the first time, I doubt I'll ever re-wire this car again.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
bass_lover1 said:
ryan8186 said:
0 gauge amp wire? I bet that thing has some serious bump in the trunk.
Actually, I've got 0awg run to a dist block where it splits it to 4, and I'm only running the one amp. Mind you this amp is crazy, rated at a mear 13.5 watts per channel, and it will easily produce over a 100 watts per side. And the amp is running my component set. You can read my review of the comps if ya want, its kinda long.

I decided I'd go over board the first time, so when I do add more I wont have to go through the trouble again. And believe me, after doing it the first time, I doubt I'll ever re-wire this car again.
AMEN 8)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Ya know, once I had the interior out the first time it became a lot easier so I could probably do it in 30 minutes or so now. 8) True it's not as easy as my Mk3, but it is pretty easy. How do you like the Type-X comps? Are they the new Type-Xs or the old SPXs? I had the SPXs and loved them. I also used to run LP 652s and a 992. I really need o get crackin' on my setup.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, my goal was to take out the whole enterior, seats, center console, carpet, but i had a hard time trying to get the front seats out so i just said fuck it.

comps would be the SPX-177A (the set crutchfield is selling for 230 shipped) the SPX-177R is the new set, and I wish I had that set. Nicer tweeter, nicer x-over, mid is the same though, but just adding on to the already kick ass cross over makes me want to buy the new set.

Oh well, I still like what I've got now.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
How do you figure the new x-over is nicer now? The older one (like you have) has larger components (for better heat dissipations) and was WAAAAAY more adjustable than the new one. The best thing about the new one is that it's a lot smaller than the old one.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To the best of my knowledge (maybe I should do a little more research), but the only change was the added ability to add 2nd or 3rd woofers to either side of the comp set.

But we agree that the new tweet is better? Vifa Xt tweets own, I want a set.

hooper, no prob man lol. Crossovers are mounted on the passenger's side back seat in the trunk. The amp is set up verticle towards the top left corner, and the two x-overs are set to the right and a little lower than the amp, also they are mounted one above the other.

As for the rca's since I ran my power wire down the driver's side, rca's went down the passenger side. Run em back to the firewall from the deck, then accross it over to the kickpanel (this is all towards the upper side of the firewall tucked back under the dash. After they reach the kickpanel run em back along the length of the car. Mine run between the seat and the door jamb all the way back then they go under the rear seat and pop up in just the right spot. I'm using 20ft rca's and I could of easily gotten away with 17, never hurts to order more than needed and end up with extra then not to order enough and be kickin your self in the junk.

Every time I get in my car, it puts a smile on my face. I think I'm in love :wink:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, the ability to add a 3rd driver is the only difference. IMO it's pointless anyway since you should ALWAYS run a midbass driver actively. I've never heard a car with a passive 3-way set-up that I liked.

Yes, the new tweeters are a definite upgrade. I believe the old ones were Vifa's as well, but the new ones are even better. :wink:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never heard a 3-way setup period. People in my area suck for car audio, and there arent very many shows to go to that are worth going to.

Yea, both are Vifa tweeters but the new one is the Vifa Xt dual concentric tweeter, which was also the first version of the Scan-speak Revelator tweeter, which retails around 800-900 for a factory matched set.

I'd love to swap out my tweets for the new Type X tweets, but I doubt Alpine would just sell me the tweeter by its self.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See, I've thought about just buying the Vifa Xt tweet, but the whole 3.5" mounting flange kinda throws me off. Since I put these tweets in the stock location, just cut em a little bit, I dont really think the Xt's would fit in the same spot.

I'll email Alpine eventually, its worth a shot.

Later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.