Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I will be installing some new McCullough HIDs tomorrow in my 2001 1.8T auto B5 (yes I have projectors already installed). Since everything is new, can I get away without using relays until spring time? What is the worst that could happen?
Thanks everyone - ~ Erik

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes, you don't need relays as they are lower wattage both at startup and while running compared to halogens.

Remember if you need to make holes in any rubber components such as bungs or boots, or pull connectors through them, they stretch beyond belief, you just need to lube them with liquid soap or hand cream. Warming them up helps too. You can then slowly pull things through the tiniest hole and it will reseal tightly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone - especially the tip on using liquid soap on the boots. And yes I will be using a Euro-switch.

~ Erik

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
OK, you still might need to use a relay. Once the HIDS are running, they draw less power than the stock bulbs, but when they a re starting up, they can draw more current. The worst thing that can happen in this instance is that you'll blow fuses....

Also, make sure you either disable the DRL's OR bypass the DRL resistance wire....

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
OK, you still might need to use a relay. Once the HIDS are running, they draw less power than the stock bulbs, but when they a re starting up, they can draw more current. The worst thing that can happen in this instance is that you'll blow fuses....

Also, make sure you either disable the DRL's OR bypass the DRL resistance wire....
yes you are correct that HID upon start up the current drawn can be as high as 20-25 amps. Once the ARC is lit and bulb warmed up in a few minutes it draws less than 10 amps.
So I would recommend a rely:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Never used a relay when I installed my HID kits into my Euro Projector housings. Used the Euro HL switch with all other stock parts and it worked flawlessly for many years.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
It will depend on the kit that you have. I didn't need to use a relay or change to higher amperage fuses (NOT recommended!) when installing OEM Hella Euro Hids, but the aftermarket kits are a "whole other ball game"...

·
Registered
248 Posts
your fuses should be the weakest link, if they blow, get a relay, but don't forget incandescent bulbs draw more than hid for a split second when turned on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Im going to be instaling some as well, WITH a relay. Just figure it as extra safety I guess, im not sure if anyone elses car does it but when i first start mine and the SAIP kicks on it actualy dims my headlights for almost a minute which is no good for the bulbs and ballast of HIDS. Did a retro in my old jetta with some lexus setups and wired with relay straight from battery...had nice clean juice the whole time even when acc are turned on or if the car stalls:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Im going to be instaling some as well, WITH a relay. Just figure it as extra safety I guess, im not sure if anyone elses car does it but when i first start mine and the SAIP kicks on it actualy dims my headlights for almost a minute which is no good for the bulbs and ballast of HIDS. Did a retro in my old jetta with some lexus setups and wired with relay straight from battery...had nice clean juice the whole time even when acc are turned on or if the car stalls:thumbup:
I don;t feel comfortable uprating the OEM fuse amperage to higher ones since it was not engineered with you installing aftermarket lighting. But people do it anyways and you hear the occaisional horror stories.
Best is to have them relayed with fuses for safetly of your vehicles electrical and your own personal safety as well.

·
Registered
773 Posts

WHY??? No one has had trouble yet installing HID's into their headlight

Save yourself the unnecessary work

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
WHY??? No one has had trouble yet installing HID's into their headlight

Save yourself the unnecessary work
What are you asking "why" to???? IF it's the use of a relay, there have been many people that had issues when not using one. Extra work? I say that's doing it right...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
i would suggest if you are adding accessories in your vehicles that it did not come with.
Putting a fused relay of the appropriate amperage will protect both your car and accessory.
just my 2 cents but it is your car

·
Registered
705 Posts
ok, only one of the lights comes on whenever I turn them on. Does that mean I need 'rely'? (I hate asking stupid questions) so where and how can I get this rely? Also driver's side is a bit yellowish than the passenger side, is this also 'rely' related?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
ok, only one of the lights comes on whenever I turn them on. Does that mean I need 'rely'? (I hate asking stupid questions) so where and how can I get this rely? Also driver's side is a bit yellowish than the passenger side, is this also 'rely' related?
bulb color has nothing to do with a relay for HID capsules.
If you are using halogen bulbs then a drop of voltage and current on one side will have bulb output difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts