Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve looked around but really have never found a lot of info on this.
I want to ditch the stock monsoon amp and go with an amp and active crossover that I’ve had laying around for a while.
Is this setup outlined anywhere? I always find posts referring to adding just a sub but I once heard that the stock speakers aren’t that bad and wanted to through more juice at them or just replace with some infinity reference speakers that I also have laying around.
I’ve heard of a line converter and also some adapter that can go on the monsoon HU that will give you RCA preouts. Are these my two options? and if so, is one better or easier to install than the other.
:) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if you do a search in this section you will find plenty...I did this same setup and it is in here...you might search by author or? many have done it.

Adjustable Line Output Converter is the one I used. It works pretty good. I ordered some Metra harness(yellow?), and it must have been the wrong one, since it doesnt work for me and my Premium 2001 Monsoon HU.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Basically the stock monsoon setup is already actively crossed over ( or atlest the passive XO's are inside the amp) and it would be relatively easy to rig up a new amp and active XO. You would just need to get a 4 channel amp (for the front speakers) and hook two channels to the tweeters (the smaller speaker wires) and the other two to the mids, and then setup your crossover. I think you'll be stunned with the difference in sound. You would also need a duplicate setup for the rear, if you wanted to do the same thing in the back. I suppose if you didnt care about the fade function you could use the same crossover for the front and rear amp, but I dont know if that would be too great. I am pretty sure the rear speakers are a little different than the front, and the crossover points might need to be different for the best sound quality.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am working with a similar set up. I replaced the stock HU and amp with a PC and a 4-channel alpine amp. I am splitting each channel of the Amp between tweeter and mid on the same side but using a passive crossover for the tweeter.

It works pretty good but I am having sound balance issues between front and back (4ohm Vs 2ohm) that I hope to correct by having adjustable multi-channel sound.

I am also looking for better crossovers for the tweets than those I am using. I am using crossovers meant to be used with Memphis coaxial speakers but I think I need some with a higher pass.

Any recommendation in passive crossovers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AnthroSSAT said:
if you do a search in this section you will find plenty...I did this same setup and it is in here...you might search by author or? many have done it.

Adjustable Line Output Converter is the one I used. It works pretty good. I ordered some Metra harness(yellow?), and it must have been the wrong one, since it doesnt work for me and my Premium 2001 Monsoon HU.
So the line output converter worked pretty good for you?
where did you capture the signal from the HU?
This is pretty much the info I need.
I want to get the signal from the radio that is going into the monsoon amp so I can ditch it completely and use the 6 channel amp I have to power all of the speakers.
Is the line output converter my only option for this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AnthroSSAT said:
so far. Unless someone can tell us how to recode the Monsoon with a VAG tool to make it a standard deck, and then use the Blaupunkt adater that gives you RCA outputs....or rewire the adapter to work
Could you tell me where you purchased the line output converter and where you placed it to receive the signal from the HU.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I ordered from some place in your neck of the woods, FL.

I would do a search for topics from me under Electronics, or for that specific part, since it is in here a few times...unless someone can chime in who knows off hand.

mine still sits in the garage

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am not completely positive, so dont quote me on this one, but I am almost certain that there are the rough equivalent of line level inputs going to the factory amp. I know that Lexus, BMW and Jaguar all have signals that you can just cut and solder RCA's to for a line level signal, and I have successfully done this before in those cars. My factory wiring harness is buried behind a lot of fiberglass so that isnt an option for me to research this, but I'd imagine that with a little bit of inginuity (sp?) you could figure out which wires are the line level inputs and take it from there. This way you wouldnt be runnign your signal through the monsoon amp, and then through a line level converter, and then into your crossover and then into your new amp...Might sound a little better this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts