Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the SkiFi receiver, installed it in my home, and I'm researching the best way is to affordably install it in my Passat. I have the Delphi SkiFi Car Kit, but could return it. Is there better equiptment that costs the less or a little more?

The install by Bean looks really great... click here for thread
If I used the same approach for installing the antenna I assume I'd have to run a wire to the dash*. I know the passat is pre-wired for a cd-changer in back and I'd prefer to run the antenna wire in such a way that it could not be seen within the passenger cabin. Can I take advantage of preexisting wiring or conduit/runway? How would I go under the carpet and into the trunk?

Can I plug the output from the SkiFi directly into my Monsoon head unit with an RCA jack? If I can't do that, the next best choice seems to be a wire FM modulator.

Where on the dash have others placed the receiver?

*-Can the SkiFi receiver be mounted in the trunk and controlled remotely via the Passat Head unit? I suspect it cannot.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any commentary would be great. I wonder if that space that Bean put the antenna in is taken up by the back window blind on my car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I gave up on my SkyFi and sold it.

I could not find a good mounting place for it in the Passat. The mounts that fit into the 6th button extended it too far into the passenger side, so that my passengers always hit it with their knee. I ran the antenna wire under the plastic moldings on the floor all the way to the back, through the trunk and out. The antenna I then mounted next to the stock one. I did some tests and placed the antenna under the rear deck of the trunk lid and reception was identical to it being on the roof, so I left it on the shelf. No ugly XM antenna was visible then.

Adapters were available to plug into the cd changer connector that then gave you RCA inputs, but you had to run these wires from the SkyFi to the back. I didn't find anything that pluged into the back of the Monsoon head unit to do this. Your best bet is to get an aftermarket radio that has XM support built in.

You can see what I did with my antenna here:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/scottpletcher/

(These are not my pictures, but this is how I installed it).

You can see some old pictures of my car (including the external antenna and SkyFi):

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43579

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Protoclown, very useful information. The biggest issue now is where to mount it. I see the issue of passenger leg encroachment. Perhaps the best installation will be with a Roady (smaller/less expensive) or a Commander. For now I'll find a way to make the skifi fit.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Protoclown said
" ran the antenna wire under the plastic moldings on the floor all the way to the back, through the trunk and out."

Which plastic moldings? The ones by the doors? Do they come up easy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could also try the Pioneer reciver with FM modulator remote unit (small)...and can fit in tighter spots? You would need either Pioneer HU or adaptor to tap into CDC wire. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
tenbroeck said:
Protoclown said
" ran the antenna wire under the plastic moldings on the floor all the way to the back, through the trunk and out."

Which plastic moldings? The ones by the doors? Do they come up easy?
Initially, I ran them from the SkyFi, under the passenger seat to the plastic moldings by the door. I just grabbed a hold of the moldings and bent them up just enough to shove the wires under it. This worked pretty good.

With an FM Modulator, quality is an issue. I used the cassette adapter (as I have a 6 disc mp3 changer that I use) and the quality was much much better than normal FM. I could barely tell the difference between CDs playing and XM.

I have been thinking about the Roady, as it is much smaller and you could probably mount it in the ashtray.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what I needed on the wiring issue.

I got a ski fi with the car kit. This weekend I'll install that using the cassette adaptor. At first I'll just put the skifi in ashtray. I am still concerned with fitting it into my cockpit in a non intrusive way.

The roady's only downside is that it doesn't have a cradle like the skifi, so you have attach all three wires (power, antenna, output) every time you want to move it. If you were leaving it in your car that would be o.k. (I don't count smaller display as a downside b/c the thing is smaller overall.)

The XM Commander seems like an interesting option. It's so thin, I'd think we could find some place to mount it. Somone on this board posted that they had installed it in the head liner, I'd rather keep it down on the dash somewhere...

The slickest option is the pioneer receivers, but at $275, that too rich for my blood.
http://store.myradiostore.com/voxmbu.html

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The antenna from the delphi car kit fits easily in the space under the hat shelf under the rear window (the way bean installed it) and running the wire up front was easy. REception is excellent. Placement of the receiver is still a problem. Since I've got an '01 I think I might mount it in the center console between driver seat and front passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
tenbroeck said:
The XM Commander seems like an interesting option. It's so thin, I'd think we could find some place to mount it. Somone on this board posted that they had installed it in the head liner, I'd rather keep it down on the dash somewhere...
You mount it like this... :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have my sirius reciever in my glove box and my antenna in my rear window. I don't keep anything in there so it doesn't bother me and doesn't clutter my interior, but I don't change stations often. It may be a pain if you do. People can't tell that i have sattelite radio when they get into my car and that is the way I like it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The commander does look nice there.

I've thought about the glove box too. I guess I could move my owners manual to the trunk. Is it loose in there? If mounted, what surface did you mount it too? How did you run the wires in there?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I did kind of a "quick install." I just kind of tucked the wires under the door sills, well out of view, and ran them up through the back of the glove box. It was rather difficult to get them through though. Mine isn't mounted but if it was i would just use double sided tape, but I like to be able to pull mine out easily while I'm driving. As for the manual, look directly under the steering wheel (b5.5). There is a slot there specially for the manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guyz,

I just installed an XM Commander in my VW 2003 Passat with a Monsoon Sound System. I only have the single CD. Of course, I have the connection for the CD changer in the rear.

Instead of using the FM Modulator, I decided to use the direct connection. There is a great custom made VW CD Changer to line-level audio adaptor.
http://www.k9spud.com/vwcdpic/

Works great. I added the recommended audio isolator to eliminate some noise.

BTW - It was even more convenient than trying to get to the antenna cable for the FM Modulator. Power is available on the CD Changer molex. I simply used the head-extension cable and connected eveything else in the trunk.

I wanted to help since I had to do some research to find this jewel! Will work great for any line level input application.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is an appealing option. That adapter is less expensive than the other ones I've seen. I guess you just ran an audio cable all the way to the trunk and plugged it in. Or, did you do something else?

"Power is available on the CD Changer molex. I simply used the head-extension cable and connected eveything else in the trunk. "

These sentences left me confused. What's the changer moles? head-extension cable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The XM Commander kit consists of a receiver, head-unit, antenna, and cables. One of the cables extends the head unit so you can dash mount it. That is the only cable going from the front of my Passat to the rear compartment for the CD Changer. I didn't even have to remove any panels or jams. The cable is thin enough to slip under the panels.

A molex connector is a plastic multi-pinned plug. You can "tap" the power off it's cables OR you can tap the amplifier's power, which is conveniently mounted in the trunk too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got you now. Thanks.

Since I'm mounting the SkiFi in the glove box, I'll tap the power going into the radio/cassette head unit. And, I'll just sent an audio cable to the trunk to hook up to the CD Changer outlet there (or maybe I'll look and see if there is a connector for that cable located behind the dash).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
tenbroeck
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing