Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new here.

I want to install these chrome rings for the cluster and I done some research and seen a couples of DIY's.

But do I really need to remove the steering wheel for this?

Can I just lower the steering wheel and then use this tool (see the link) to unscrew those 2 screw and take the cluster out? Thanks for all kind of help..

The tool: 45 in 1 Skruvmejsel reparationsverktyget Set för alla mobiler verktyg

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMO most gauge trim kits look cheap and tacky. The ones i saw anyway... A B5.5 cluster face and plastic housing should swap over to your B5 cluster pretty easily to add some rings. Either way tho your better off taking the steering whell and all the other trim off. The trim around the column blocks your access to the 2 cluster torx screws anyway. The wheel comes off quite easily if you have done it before... Airbag unclips from the back, Unclip elec connection from airbag & Triplesquare socket removes the wheel, Remember where the steering wheel is oriented tho. There is prob a diy somewhere on here....

·
Registered
926 Posts
I don't know the answer. But a little net searching yields this video
which shows, after some disassembly and removal of the shroud around the steering column, B5 cluster removal without pulling the wheel.

This list of threads
should also contain information on this subject.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^

So basicly the cluster is only attached with 2 screws? If i manage to just lower the steering wheel and unscrew those 2 screws I will be able to remove it?

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
They are torx screws. And they are pretty deep under the roller shroud. If you were to try to remove cluster without first taking off airbag, steering wheel, and column covers you are going to need a long shaft torx driver that can slip under roller shroud and reach them. Though it's been a while since I was in and out of my cluster over the course of several months, I don't remember it being possible to pull the cluster without removing the airbag, wheel, clock spring, column covers and roller shroud first.

:wrench:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts