Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Im looking to get my first car (used) and Im looking to get a VOLKSWAGEN Passat 1.9 TDi 130CV Trendline for about 4.300€ (it has between 160 000 - 169 999 kms on it).

The car Ill get (irrelevent if this one or not) will get a CarPC installed into it. This bascially means a PC will be running in the trunk of the car and it will have a touchdisplay on the dashboard. My questions are the following:

Has anyone on these forums done this?
How hard is it (if avaliable) to install a 3rd party dashboard that keeps all of the factory controls' holes while leaving another hole for the touchscreen? I rather do this than manually cut holes and modify it.

Thank you

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
One option is to configure the space the radio goes into to be a double-din space (180x100mm) and find a display that will fit in that space.
Car Touchscreen Monitors - vehicle auto touch panel touchscreen monitor Faytech, VM series VM70, VM80L, VM90, VM104

Another is to find a head unit with touch screen display that has a video input and USB output (CarPC Ready).
Xenarc Technologies - MDT-X7000 - 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen LCD VGA Monitor

Car PC, 12V Vehicle Computers, the makers of VoomPC

CarPC News

Xenarc Technologies - Product Index

Consider the length of the cable runs between a dash mounted monitor and USB devices, and a trunk mounted PC. USB has a length limit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One option is to configure the space the radio goes into to be a double-din space (180x100mm) and find a display that will fit in that space.
Car Touchscreen Monitors - vehicle auto touch panel touchscreen monitor Faytech, VM series VM70, VM80L, VM90, VM104

Another is to find a head unit with touch screen display that has a video input and USB output (CarPC Ready).
Xenarc Technologies - MDT-X7000 - 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen LCD VGA Monitor

Car PC, 12V Vehicle Computers, the makers of VoomPC

CarPC News

Xenarc Technologies - Product Index

Consider the length of the cable runs between a dash mounted monitor and USB devices, and a trunk mounted PC. USB has a length limit.
I know about displays :)

The thing is that they sell prefitted double din displays. This is for a 2010 - 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe:

Premounted and with holes already. Wanted to know if there was something similar for the 2001 Passat (would make life much easier)

·
Registered
107 Posts
IMG_20130103_083340.jpg IMG_20130103_083455.jpg IMG_20130103_083503.jpg IMG_20130103_083646.jpg IMG_20130103_084013.jpg IMG_20130103_084211.jpg

I removed the navigation unit and cd stacker out of the cubby hole in the boot and put my carpc in it's place as well as a mini 4 channel amp and visteon radio unit.
Since it's in the cubby hole I don't use a case but have the motherboard (intel 1.6 dual core fanless )on an aluminum base. For power I'm using a M2-Atx 160W power supply.
I'm using a 7" 629 liliput touch screen and have a funk switch to turn on the carpc which turns on the screen and computer. I have power cables down one side and the other cables down the other.

In the glove box there is a slim slot dvd player and a usb hub.

I have my microphone(dual) installed in the sunroof box.

On my last passat I got a bezel from mp3car.com but they were no longer available so when I did my next passat I designed one using googles sketchup and got a local manufacturer to make it.

For software I'm using centrafuse as I didn't have much success with riderunner and my old motorola Razar phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts