Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mounts...I followed the directions listed on the "info" page for replacing the snub mount with out taking off the bumper. As I slowly lifted the engine, I heard a crack and both mounts busted in the garage and leaked reddish oil on the floor!!!

After that fiasco, I decide to follow Hermans way of removing the bumper. and I was able to get the snub in place, but now I have to get 2 motor mounts :mad:

oh well, I think I'm gonna run V6 mounts in the car...

Darin

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
:nervous: i was gonna use those directions soon to do the motor mount thing.......maybe i won't :nervous:

·
0 Posts
Darin45 said:
mounts...I followed the directions listed on the "info" page for replacing the snub mount with out taking off the bumper. As I slowly lifted the engine, I heard a crack and both mounts busted in the garage and leaked reddish oil on the floor!!!

After that fiasco, I decide to follow Hermans way of removing the bumper. and I was able to get the snub in place, but now I have to get 2 motor mounts :mad:

oh well, I think I'm gonna run V6 mounts in the car...

Darin
You obviously didn't read step #4

4. Remove the bolts don’t loose them, next have someone above to watch the cables and hose, now slowly carefully raise the engine block until the bolts of the engine mounts clear the support or until you can wiggle the oem snub mount out. The snub mount housing is loose so remove it trust me.

Skipping this step is the only way that you could have destroyed your mounts, I have done 2 more cars since i wrote this, which makes about 6 or so car that have been done this way. Not one problem not one time, and it takes me longer to get the jack in postion and remove the bolts than it does to remove the snub mount and replace it.

I feel for you, but you must have skipped a vital step. If the mount bolts were loose when you lifted the engine they would simple be elevated out of the brackets not be torn or stretched at all.

I stand by this method!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
OK, clue me in...V6 mounts? Sturdier and fit the 1.8T? That could be nice...

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Yeah, Steve has it right. If you remove the lower bolts on the 2 side mounts, this would not have happened.

Green Hornet - The V6 mounts have a more sturdy material then the 1.8T mounts. When I did my mounts, I just replaced the front mount with the snub, and also replaced the others with the normal 1.8T mounts. Everything else has been fine since my install.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took out all the bolts and raised the motor slowly. I check the hoses and the lines and had no problem. I also was able to remove the stock mount easily but the new mount was to thick and hard to wedge it in between where the mount goes. So I jacked up the engine alittle higher to get some more room and crack!!! mounts are gone!!!!

on a side note, I notice that the new greedspeed mount doesn't hardly vibrate at all. Feels "stockish" Has anyone else noticed that? :???: I have the neuspeed mount in my 02' A4 and it vibrates alot more than this.

BTW- how much is eveyone paying for the V6 and 1.8t motor mounts?

TIA,
Darin

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
If you lifted the motor up too much, then yes the mounts may have snapped. I think that you were trying to get too much clearance and didnt follow the directions right. Sorry Darin...

As for prices on the mounts, I paid about $50 each for the 1.8T mounts at www.ecstuning.com

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no worries...should repalce them anyways!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts