Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1.5 years!! Man, I don't know why I waited so long to put it in. Glad I did though. Finally!

Anyway, I have the Blitz FATT. Pretty cool little unit. Now I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the display. I have the offset steering wheel column gauge pod and was thinking about fabricating something for the right side of the pod. This way the display would be just to the right of my boost gauge.

One of the things I like about the Blitz is that you can actually turn it off. If you ever want to just park and go you can turn the unit off. I decided to wire it up to the e-brake switch, so it can always be defeated by keeping the brake off too.

Anyway, nice modification. How many people's cars keep running with an armed alarm after they turn off the ignition? :)

BTW, thanks to Herman and Audiworld for the install instructions. They were dead on!

I have to be honest, I've stalled the car twice by keeping the car in gear when I stop the car and turn off the key. D'oh!! ;)

-Mark

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Good deal!

How difficult was it?

This is the next addition that I want to make to my '99 1.8T and I'm sweatin' the details here.

Do you have those links to the info you used handy?

·
Registered
914 Posts
how did u wire it up so your can activate your alarm while the car was still running? THat's the problem i have with my TT. Can't arm the car till it's off....

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have the TT Companion sitting here on my desk, since the guy who makes them went out of business, I haven't been able to get to installing it. If someone has the pinout of the CCM I can figure out which wires go where on teh passat (all the existing directions are for the MkIVs)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out Herman's site. On his site there's a link to an Audiworld set of instructions too...

http://home.comcast.net/~hhong4

Getting the dash apart is pretty easy. The plastic trim piece between the instrument panel and the steering column is a PITA to remove. The lower two screws are really easy, but the top two (totally invisible) are a bitch. Removing the top half of the steering column helps a lot to get at the torx screws...

One of the things that was unclear to me was which of the netted looms to cut open. There are two electrical harnesses that go into the instrument panel. It's not those. It's not the clump that goes into the right side of the steering column. It is the clump of wires that goes into the left side of the steering column.

I opted to tap into the bottom of the distribution block under the relays in the dash. You have a few connections to make...

1) Power line - red wire - I tapped into the distribution area under the relays. I used a small spade connector and just bolted power in place.
2) Ignition wire - green wire - I scraped some insulation away from the large 10 gauge black wire and soldered the green wire to it. Wrapped it up with friction tape. I had a hell of a time soldering this because my soldering iron sucks big time. I probably have a cold solder joint.
3) Ground - black wire - I wired this to the grounding location for my boost gauge lamp. Also used a spade connector.
4) Brake switch/safety. The timer won't work unless this secondary ground is engaged. It is common to connect this to the handbrake switch so the timer won't keep the engine running when the handbrake is down.
5) Looped from 22 gauge red wire to the alarm fuse.

It's not really that tough to do all of this stuff. Just time consuming. I used double sided foam tape to secure the timer to the metal panel under the dash. The wires were cable-tied, and the display was run to the top of the steering column.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the alarm, I have a '98, so I'm not sure what's different for later cars...

I just had to cut a wire from the fuseblock and route a wire to it that was tapped from the ignition harness.

-Mark

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I bought a greddy turbo timer but the guy I was going to have install it for me (a VW Performance shop owner) advised against it. No real need for one in our cars as the turbo's are oil AND water cooled. So I saved myself the $200 to install it and bought ABD's new custom intake system instead! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts