Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a full install in my 2004 passat. Ran fat wire gauges and fat RCAs. Ran all the wiring under the carpets properly up to the trunk under the rear seats. Although I just recently checked my connections and removed the seats and saw that my wires are now glued or melted on to the floor of the rear seats. On the cars body, there is some darker stuff kinda like dynamat stuff. Is it safe to have wires, rca, power ran right on top of that stuff? My 4 gauge power wire is almost melted to the wire which would mean boom boom boom. That would be a really bad picture.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
wrap it in flex loom, its that black plastic looking stuff that goes around the power wires. Also I start my isntallation on my 98 B5 early this coming week just curious but how did you get the power wire from the engine bay into the cab, like where is the stock grommet? Or did you even use the stock grommet. Thanks man

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a little triangle gommet sort of in the middle inside the engine bay. Once removed it will give you access inside of the car. 4 gauge power wire fits nicely, but make sure to silicon everything once power wire is ran. Run a search on the forums, there is a lot of information about proper installation procedures.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
Anthra - that stuff that looks like Dynamat basically is Dynamat. It's the factory sound deadening material. It's normal for the wires to sink into it. When the floor heats up from the exhaust heat the deadening material softens up and the pressure from the carpet pushes it into the deadening material. It's all good. Also, is the actual insulation from the 4 ga. melted away or is it just sinking in the deadening material? Pull the 4 ga. away from the floor and look at it, I'll bet it's fine.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.