Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 99 has the stock headlights and I did the plastic polish trick and it looks great. Only probably now is the outside is so clean I can see a haze on the inside the looks like slight fogging (almost like a hard water stain). Can I take the lens off to get at the other side???

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump anyone have experience with this one?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Check the black-headlight mod writeup in the info section. You have to heat up the headlight housing to pry apart the butyl rubber sealant. I tried on my B5.5 and had no luck... the B5 may be easier. YMMV.

I've also considered taking the housings out and trying to swish-around some shower glass cleaner (dripped through the hi-beam openings - remove bulbs first). Never quite had the motivation to actually do it, however.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that you mentioned that, maybe if I took out the bulbs, use that as access and used a large Q-tip type of thing to clean the inside. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yeah... watch out for lint.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The only solution I've found is to get new lights...they probably have a crack in them somewhere if they're yellowing at all. My driver's side is yellowing, but the passenger side is find.
It's usually caused by a leak and UV gets in there and there's nothing you can do but replace them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
take out yur head lights and remove both bulbs and i guess you could clean it with flitz, but im not sure this would work so dont try it unless you are willing to agree with problems.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Bob - I have the same problem on my 5.5. The lenses have a slight haze to them. It's not fully covering the lenses but it's something I would love to polish out. Let me know if you ever figure out a way to do this.

- Alex

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
SeattleReign said:
Bob - I have the same problem on my 5.5. The lenses have a slight haze to them. It's not fully covering the lenses but it's something I would love to polish out. Let me know if you ever figure out a way to do this.

- Alex
Wouldn't warranty cover this if it is on the inside of the lense? The outside no .. but the inside isn't something you have control over.

I have the slightest haze in one lense and I'm going to go for warranty.

I have an 03 with 26,000 miles. I'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Please do Jesstzn. I have my 40K service on my 2002 on the 29th and I'm hoping they might replace them for free after I ask them to look into it. We'll see what happens. My dealer has suprised me before when they replaced my rear rotor and pads after 32K, and I didn't even ask them to, I just asked them to take a look and see if they were toast or not.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys, on my 99 I think I am running out of warranty (rollin up to 55K). I'll probably have to stick to the "handraulic" method of polishing out the plastic lenses or just living with it

If I find an easy way I will let you know.

SeattleReign, hope to see you at our next gtg, you can show me the lens on your car.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts