Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sirs

This mod works only on :b5: and :b55: without sunroof.
AFAIK this mod will also work on :b55: with sunroof, but i can´t guarantee for it.
It´s definitive NOT working on :b5:´s with sunroof

Things to obtain:
Digital watch (blue): 7M3 919 203 Y20

or a green one: 7M0 919 203 D Y20

Front frame: 7M0 867 659 Y20
Rear frame: 7M0 867 660

Housing: 6N0 972 705

Wires (x3) : 000 979133

5xWire in various colors, each ~1,5m (depends on, if using the switch function)
Shrinking hose (not necessary, but Professional)
Some clamps to branch off, and to connect ground
Maybe soldering iron and solder.

At first dismount your dome light and determine the mid of it´s assembly opening.
From this point you have to measure 5,5-6cm in a right angle upwards.
This point is the cross in the picture:

At this point you marked, you have to hold the rear frame with it´s tiny hole and line out the inner ring of the frame.

Should look like this:

Now you have to take a cutter knife (new blade recommended) and to display your courage :lol: , and cut along the line you drawed :nervous:

Should look like this:

Now something less spectacular:

Plug the prefabricated wires into the housing (yes, there will be one left over), and extend the other end with the long wires.
I soldered them (staggered) and isolated them with a piece of shrinking hose

Pin 1: Power supply (switched ignition) Pin 15
Pin 2: Battery Pin 30
Pin 3: Ground supply
Pin 4: Lighting : Two variations at this point:
a) with W8 dome light : branch off from the line
b) without: tow a cable to your light switch and connect to Pin 17
Pin 5: Switch line. Only to use if needed.
You can start a 20min. countdown by pushing the control button with
the flame symbol on it directly, or program a point within 24 hrs.,
where the countdown should start.
I used this option for my auxilliary heater (Blue Heat), as an add on.
I towed the whole bundle to the fuse box to connect it there.
(With the exception of the lighting wire)
All this cables had been combined in an additional shrinking hose as an own made harness:

Yes, the blue one isn´t in the shrinking hose.It´s because i have a W8 dome light and the wire had to be shortened.

BTT:

After installing the harness, and inserting the watch in its assembly opening, it should look like this:

BTW:Check out if the watch works before inserting it into the headliner.It´s a PITA to get it out again.

Good luck.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
so... uhm...
good job, seriously.

but did you not notice the clock on the cluster?
that one won't hurt your neck to read :whistle:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sir

Thanks for the information.Never seen it in the last nine years :p
The main reason i built in this watch was to use my auxilliary heater without fumbling the remote out of my pocket, and to shield it then while using it in my car.
The clock function itself is a nice co-pruduct.

·
13,906 Posts
heh, just making sure you knew. :poke:

sp what's this aux. heater? do you mean the painted one on the rear windshield?

also, to verify what this all works with, do you happen to have a top picture of the unit?
maybe if you just pull off that cover plate right between the unit and the map light, and take a pic...

i'l give you a definitive answer to if it will work on b5.5 with sunroof or not.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
Nice find and writeup. this might be a nice addition to my eurovan.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
sp what's this aux. heater? do you mean the painted one on the rear windshield?
Some cars in very cold markets have an auxiliary heater that runs on fuel that is used to warm up the car's interior without running the engine. Eberspächer is one of these brands- they've been in the business a long time:

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/air-heating/technology-in-detail.html

They often are set up on a timer. Some Euro-market vehicles can turn them on using the factory clock.

·
I wish I wasn't witless
2,261 Posts
The VW brand is Webasto as far as I know, I think solar sunroof panels have something to do with it as well. It comes with a keychain remote and is probably illegal here in the U.S. since the unit runs off of whatever fuel the car does, usually gasoline.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Eberspacher and Webasto aux heaters were very common in aircooled VWs back in the day. I see no reason they would be illegal in the US nowadays.

I conceptually like the Webasto and Eberspacher auxiliary coolant heaters. They sound like just the ticket if you live in the Dakotas or Minnesota.

·
13,906 Posts
The VW brand is Webasto as far as I know, I think solar sunroof panels have something to do with it as well. It comes with a keychain remote and is probably illegal here in the U.S. since the unit runs off of whatever fuel the car does, usually gasoline.
it's not. well, not that i know of. didn't read it in the texas state vehicle codes that you could not have auxiliary fueled devices running "within" a vehicle...

what's illegal is leaving a car running with the keys in it, and you not in it.
some officers just see it running by itself idle without a person via remote start even without keys and write it up anywho, because they don't care to look at the steering column...

·
Registered
425 Posts
lol - reminds me of my old Scout - the PO of my 65 Scout put an open propane burner in the passenger floorboard and mounted a propane tank in front of the radiator (yes - there's about a foot of open space between the radiator and the grille and a nice little shelf to put things on and it doesn't block the rad too much). He used this when sitting in the woods with the engine off while deer hunting.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sirs
Did some research, found some pics and stole them for you.
I hope this will have no consequences for me.
Still no guarantee from me for this.

Retrofitment on a B5.5 with sunroof:

As you see, the assembly opening is filled with a piece of tin, which has to be cutted off with a Dremel.

This guy didn´t used a front frame, because of the missing space.
So the assembly opening has to be cutted very tight.

Not that much space:

AFAIK there is much less space on B5´s, so it will definitively not work.

BTW:
Here are some pics of my Webasto auxilliary heater:

Comparable with ctobio´s Eberspächer post.
Here´s an English languaged Webasto link FYI :

http://www.webasto.us/home/en/homepage.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
lol - reminds me of my old Scout - the PO of my 65 Scout.... He used this when sitting in the woods with the engine off while deer hunting.
Thanks a LOT! That brought back memories of my '64 Scout: 7 quarts of oil in the crank, one in the oil bath air filter, dual fuel tanks, mechanical PTO, vacuum wipers...
I managed to get it stuck just once. It was in about 3 feet of snow while following some snowmobiles through single track woods one night, right up until the external door hinges got past a pair of trees, but the door handles couldn't. I then had no momentum to get the hinges out by backing. Ended up hiking home and returning with a saw to cut trees to get out of the woods.

The Webasto heaters are the hot (literally) item for diesel Passats. These engines produce so little excess heat that even the 750 watts of factory installed supplemental electrical heaters added to the heater core fluid supply are barely enough to bring the cabin up in a reasonable length of time. But the price!:icon_eek:

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
it's not. well, not that i know of. didn't read it in the texas state vehicle codes that you could not have auxiliary fueled devices running "within" a vehicle...

what's illegal is leaving a car running with the keys in it, and you not in it.
some officers just see it running by itself idle without a person via remote start even without keys and write it up anywho, because they don't care to look at the steering column...
Wait, what?? You can drive a jacked-up V10 Triton with mud tires and an "off-road-only" light bar in city traffic in Texas, but you can't let your car idle in your driveway?

Looks like I have another reason to never set foot in Texas.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks a LOT! That brought back memories of my '64 Scout: 7 quarts of oil in the crank, one in the oil bath air filter, dual fuel tanks, mechanical PTO, vacuum wipers...
I managed to get it stuck just once. It was in about 3 feet of snow while following some snowmobiles through single track woods one night, right up until the external door hinges got past a pair of trees, but the door handles couldn't. I then had no momentum to get the hinges out by backing. Ended up hiking home and returning with a saw to cut trees to get out of the woods.
:
yeah - those old Scout 80s and 800s were like little tractors with that slant-4 engine and 4.27 gears and powr-lok diffs and that low,low,low ratio in the transfer case low range - what was it -something like 2.46:1? I used to use mine to knock the top off layer of snow on my driveway so I could get my Cherokee out. Wow - makes me want to go up to my Dad's and get that old thing out of storage and drive it. They were built for two track forest logging roads too - perfect for hitting that remote hunting camp. Thanks for sharing my trip down memory lane.

·
13,906 Posts
Wait, what?? You can drive a jacked-up V10 Triton with mud tires and an "off-road-only" light bar in city traffic in Texas, but you can't let your car idle in your driveway?

Looks like I have another reason to never set foot in Texas.
don't get me wrong, i do like this law, to an affect.

this is to prevent people from leaving their car running without any supervision. what they ticket you for is making a theft situation possible.
it's to circumvent theft, not beat people with tickets :p

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
this is to prevent people from leaving their car running without any supervision. what they ticket you for is making a theft situation possible.
it's to circumvent theft, not beat people with tickets :p
You would think the incentive of not getting their shit stolen would be enough...

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
You would think the incentive of not getting their shit stolen would be enough...
Correction: the incentive of not getting their shit stolen is enough. If you're dumb enough to leave your shiny new car parked and idling in the ghetto and it gets stolen, you have nobody to blame but yourself. The government doesn't have any business saving people from their own idiocy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts