Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
What software do you use for burning cd's?

There is usually an option in some of the software. You can set at what bitrate you want it ripped.

Do you use I-Tunes? You can rip with that too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the mkw Audio Compression Tool (mkwACT). It is a free Windows® 95/98/Me and NT/2000 and XP program created for the easy and convenient conversion of WAV audio files to and from various lossless and lossy compressed formats, including Shorten (SHN).

http://home.att.net/~mkw/mkwact.html

I deal mainly with .shn and .flac files as they do not degrade the music like .mp3's

just my $.02

peace,

daniel

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
So I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting an MP3 player. Is there a way to take existing CD's and convert the song tracks to MP3 files?

Andy
no. sorry.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
if you can find it, get hold of the old fraunhoffer encoder.

use a tool like exact-audio-copy to extract ('rip') files from tracks on the cd to .wav

THEN use the encoder to convert from .wav to .mp3

THEN use a tag editor to add song name, artist name, etc.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
StellaBlue_Dan said:
a bit OT and hijacking but WTF...LW you do .shn's or .flac's?
.shn, yes. flac is about the same, I think.

I took a lot of time to encode my collection (I'm at about 20k songs now). and I used a very expensive commercial encoder (fraun. encoder for linux) and I gotta tell you - even at 128k/mp3, with a clean spdif signal to a decent digital preamp, you have to REALLY try hard to hear the diff from the cd. and I get the 10:1 space savings that 128k gives you. my magnepan spkrs are very very revealing and I have yet to find a NEED to go pure uncompressed.

add to the argument that shn and flac don't have any hardware support in portable or car players. I don't want a copy in .shn format for home and ANOTHER one in .mp3 for the rest.

for 'tape trees' (as you well know), uncompressed is what they want. but if you encode properly to mp3 and don't decode/re-encode, you only take the degradation hit once. and for 99% of the live tapes out there, mp3 is MORE than good enough.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Okay, let me ask a slightly related question...

I enjoy listening to several internet stations in either realaudio or mediaplayer. Is there a way to record a live program for playback later, either on my PC or MP3 player?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Altair 4 said:

I enjoy listening to several internet stations in either realaudio or mediaplayer. Is there a way to record a live program for playback later, either on my PC or MP3 player?
easiest is to physically loopback the line-out to line-in (or digital out to in).

you could 'sniff' the stream, but that's a hassle.

often, streaming software players don't let you do a save-as, so you have to resort to the loopback trick.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
linux-works said:
Altair 4 said:

Wazzat mean? "Sniff?"

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
jwil said:
linux-works said:
AJChenMPH said:
So I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting an MP3 player. Is there a way to take existing CD's and convert the song tracks to MP3 files?

Andy
no. sorry.
Is that sarcasm? :???:
yes. sorry.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Altair 4 said:
linux-works said:
Altair 4 said:

Wazzat mean? "Sniff?"
that means you run a packet capture program and save the data stream real-time as it happens. its like a network VCR, sort of.

ethereal and tcpdump are 2 examples. network general (the company) popularized the term 'sniffer'.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Andy, use a CD Ripper. MusicMatch is a pretty popular application that coverts CD Tracks into MP3's. I covert all of my CD's to MP3's for my IPod, and to archive my discs. I can't tell you the number of CD's my Jive friends borrow and I never see again.

:cry: Special Ed's Legal and Youngest In Charge (both out of print!!) :cry:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
if you have alot of CDs, consider ripping them to uncompressed WAV files quickly first, then running those through a batch process to compress them to MP3. If you name your WAVs appropiately with a CDDB-integrated tool, you can establish the ID3 tags of the MP3 file using the path/filename.

CDex can do this well. If you want a pretty GUI, try J.River's Media Center. I used the 30-day trial of the latter to do my 600 CD collection. Now I use CDex since it's free.

For more info check out the iPod Lounge where rippers go wild on encoding schemes:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8360

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
psm0110 said:
if you have alot of CDs, consider ripping them to uncompressed WAV files quickly first, then running those through a batch process to compress them to MP3. If you name your WAVs appropiately with a CDDB-integrated tool, you can establish the ID3 tags of the MP3 file using the path/filename.
for big orders, this is exactly the way to go.

a proper mp3 encode takes a LONG time. it just does. its cpu intensive. what I did when I was encoding my collection was to fill a 10gig hard drive in the morning, before I left for work, and it was just a rip of cd->.wav and some batch files (that came from a program I wrote). then after maybe 10 or 15 cd's were ripped, I'd run the batch and MAYBE by the time I came home at night, they'd be done. then repeat.

these all-in-one programs are nice and all, but for large jobs, they're not the way to go. discrete steps (cd to .wav; .wav to .mp3; tag the mp3's) gives you more control over the whole process.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
16 Participants
pafc
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing