Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a loaded 2003 Passat 1.8T last year. I'm looking for more performance and was considering trading it in for a used W8.

How much more preformance is the W8 vs the V6 passat with 4motion? When I bought the 1.8T I was looking to save some $ over the V6, but I miss the performance of a bigger engine.

There is no specific W8 forum, does anyone have any links to W8 specific forums? I'm looking for general info, ie cost of maintance, reliability, etc.

Thanks,
BillRK
2003 1.8T Passat

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, I've only had my W8 for a couple months, so I can't say much about the reliability, cause I've had no problems so far.

My fiancee has a 1.8T, and when we were shopping for that, we test drove a V6. Personally, I think if you're looking for a little more power, save the money and get a V6, but if you find a good deal on a W8, go for it. From what I've seen on this site, you might be better off spending your money of a few mods here and there and blow the V6 and W8 away with the car you already have.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I like W8 for torque and smoothiness, not performance. It just feels much smoother than V6 or 1.8T. You could easily turn 1.8T into pretty quick machine. Put K04 in and it will be QUICKER than W8. I think about W8 as FAST car, not quick. Floor it at 75mph and you find yourself in tripple digits in no time. And you don't even know the difference unless you look at speedo. This is what I like about W8, not dead stop starts. It's an autobahn cruiser, not drag racer.

As to cost of maintanance: W8 eats whole lot of premium and takes 9 quarts of synthetic oil only. It's gonna cost 'ya. But I don't expect it to be any less reliable than any VR6, which are nice engines. It's just two VR4 engines put together. There is an issue with some coil packs on recall, though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
VW4.0L hit it right on the head, it's fast, not quick. It shifts gears seamlessly and just keeps pulling as fast as you want. But it definately drinks a little gas.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have also had my W8 for only two months now, but I drive over 100 miles/day commuting, so I already have 4600 miles on it. First oil change will be this coming Saturday. VW4.0L is absolutely right about the power and torque. It is very smooth and quiet. At highway cruising speed you don't hear a peep of engine noise. So far my mileage has been in the low 20's, but I'm hoping to approach the 25 rating when warm weather prevails. With gas getting more $$ it something to consider though. You should get what you really want. I was originally going to buy a GLX 4mo, but they had this 03 W8 leftover and gave a great deal on it that made me buy it. So far, no regrets.

·
Registered
871 Posts
dridge11 said:
I've averaged around 22 mpg with mostly highway driving. I guess if you have pretty much all highway, 25 might be do-able.
:shock: How fast do you drive? I just hope to hit 20 average on freeway after break-in. So far I haven't seen 20, period. I drive between 75 and 90mph, with occasional tripples though. In the mix I get under mid-teens.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've had my W8 Tiptronic a year now and am still very pleased with that car after doing 20,000 miles. :thumbup:

However I have got through 2 sets of Bridgestone Potenzas in that time and have now switched to Michelin Pilot Sports. Was partly put down to tracking needing adjusting and now the latest tires seem to be lasting a little longer.

Have not had a single problem mechanically and as pervois people have said tha power is seamless and quiet until you hit the rev limiter at 6,250 rpm. On the drag strip I managed quarter mile times of 16.0 (beating Golf VR6 and all other VWs :lol: ) but I don't know what this translates to in terms of 0-60 times.

Overall fuel economy has been 18.5 over those 20,000 miles (UK Gallons don't forget) and a lot of this has been city driving. On a long run I can usually average about 22 to 24 mpg and on one particular run of 200 miles at a slow cruise speed (50mph) I got 32 mpg - but have never managed to repeat this since !

Took it to Europe recently and managed to do some cruising at 130mph for a period with the occasional sprint up to the limiter at 155mph...car wasn't even straining and I'm convinced could cruise for a while at that speed. The trouble is keeping up mentally with everything moving so fast around you and watching out for the inevitable 'other driver' who will pull out in to your lane at more 'sensible' speeds... :shock:

Overall a great car...not the fastest from a standing start due to its weight, but will beat 'most' of the competition... :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are you guys measuring the mpg with the car's computer, or with the odometer and gas pump? I'm finding that the car is always computing better mileage ranging from 0.5 to as much as 3 mpg better than my manual calculation. I'd expect the computer reading to be different, but not always in the same direction.

After 7500 miles, I've averaged 21.1 mpg per the computer, but 19.4 by my calculations. Most of my driving is commuting in the New York City area, but on highways. Cruising speed ranges from 55 to 70, depending on traffic flow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Billrk,

The W8 has 85hp more than the V6, that is similar power to a family hatchback. If it is performance you want the W8 is the only option as you will have to supercharge a V6 (Warranty issues) to get close to that.

The W8 can also be kept in stock condition with just a ECU & Tip chip to improve throttle response and a stock 540 will not be able to outrun you either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
VW4.0L said:
dridge11 said:
I've averaged around 22 mpg with mostly highway driving. I guess if you have pretty much all highway, 25 might be do-able.
:shock: How fast do you drive? I just hope to hit 20 average on freeway after break-in. So far I haven't seen 20, period. I drive between 75 and 90mph, with occasional tripples though. In the mix I get under mid-teens.
I don't ACTUALLY push the gas pedal, I just coast my way to low 20's. :lol:
I usually have the cruise on about 70 or so. I have been using the car's computer to get my MPG figures, I'll check it manually and see how that looks. If you punch it hard enough, will it turn to "gallons per mile"?

·
Registered
381 Posts
larrs said:
Are you guys measuring the mpg with the car's computer, or with the odometer and gas pump? I'm finding that the car is always computing better mileage ranging from 0.5 to as much as 3 mpg better than my manual calculation. I'd expect the computer reading to be different, but not always in the same direction.
I have noticed also that the computer is consistently higher than my calculated mileage. I track both in a spreadsheet (how anal am I?).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Or few a few bucks, get a chip and exhaust for your 1.8T, you'll be rolling with the big boys, and getting 35mpg on the highway.

I recommend sticking with your 1.8T. Trading in a brand new car is NEVER a wise decision.

-Craig

billrk said:
I bought a loaded 2003 Passat 1.8T last year. I'm looking for more performance and was considering trading it in for a used W8.

How much more preformance is the W8 vs the V6 passat with 4motion? When I bought the 1.8T I was looking to save some $ over the V6, but I miss the performance of a bigger engine.

There is no specific W8 forum, does anyone have any links to W8 specific forums? I'm looking for general info, ie cost of maintance, reliability, etc.

Thanks,
BillRK
2003 1.8T Passat

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
amokwa said:
Billrk,

The W8 has 85hp more than the V6, that is similar power to a family hatchback. If it is performance you want the W8 is the only option as you will have to supercharge a V6 (Warranty issues) to get close to that.

The W8 can also be kept in stock condition with just a ECU & Tip chip to improve throttle response and a stock 540 will not be able to outrun you either.
I don't see the W8 out performing the v6 or a chip tuned 1.8T in any manner. The W8 with tiptronic is performing 0-60 and quarter mile at the same times as the v6. The chipped 1.8T is doing it quicker. I'd go with a 1.8T, and if it has to be 4motion, go with the v6. Atleast there's mod's for the v6. The W8 doesn't have mod's, and since it's production will end shortly, I don't see it having many, if any in the future.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
billrk said:

Thanks,
BillRK
2003 1.8T Passat
I bet if you chip it, you'll out perform both. Look up the performance of a v6 and a w8, it's the same. 0-60 is both identical around 7 seconds, along with quarter mile at 15+ seconds. The 1.8T is lighter, and will perform better than the v6 chipped, which in turn is already performing like a gas guzzling w8. I get 30mpg on a 400 mile trip at 75 mph cruise control. That's all before I was chipped, and with a pulley, I'd be damned if a w8 would pass me accelerating to 100mph at those speeds. What are the mod's for the w8 anyways? I could see getting a manual, but those seem to be hard to come by.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Beavis said:
larrs said:
I have noticed also that the computer is consistently higher than my calculated mileage. I track both in a spreadsheet (how anal am I?).
I do the same...

Over 20,310 miles, my spreadsheet tells me I am getting 18.503 mpg (UK) and the car's computer says 18.5 (not bad for accuracy).

This has cost me a total of £3,797 in fuel which works out at £0.187 per mile. :sad:

Makes you think twice about going out for the shortest of rides as you see the money disappearing through your engine...but the 'fun factor' makes up for it ! :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
get the W8 it will outperform the anemic v6 or 1.8 any day & you wont lose your warrenty! if you mod the 1.8 all the power go's into a very narrow power band ,just what the vw engineers didnt want for 4 motion, 23 mi. per gallon even in winter isnt that bad. I have 45000. mi and no problems .I traded a 2.7t 2000 Audi A6 and have no regrets.

·
Registered
299 Posts
AK als said:
get the W8 it will outperform the anemic v6 or 1.8 any day & you wont lose your warrenty! if you mod the 1.8 all the power go's into a very narrow power band ,just what the vw engineers didnt want for 4 motion, 23 mi. per gallon even in winter isnt that bad. I have 45000. mi and no problems .I traded a 2.7t 2000 Audi A6 and have no regrets.
1. The 1.8T's uniqueness among 4 cylinders is having power across a wide power-band. Chipping only increases the power across that band.
2. The 1.8T and V6 are not anemic, even stock.
3. Learn how to spell, the proper use of the apostrophe, and sentence structure.

Good day.

-Craig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts