Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Directions are pretty clear-cut....looks like a great all-in-one package. Now I'm interested.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Cool. Use 3M Plastic Cleaner and Polish. 2 bottles about $6 each. Works great.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds good... who is going to be the guinea pig? Have you tried it? where can you buy this stuff?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The sun here kills plastic lenses. Keep in mind, our lenses have a coating on them. You must remove the coating to get to the yellowed plastic. You'll likely need to wetsand them first.

I use the following process on my car...
1) wetsand with 400 grit.
2) wetsand with 2000 grit
3) plastic polish on my buffer (I have two stages of polish)
4) plastic cleaner

The results are night and day! I have to repeat this about once every 6 months.

-Mark

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah unfortunately once you have to sand that protective coating off to restore them, the plastic begins to deteriorate much faster and requires more attention from that point than it did new.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Madman65 said:
I just saw this in the new Pop Mechanics: http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/auto_glass_maintenance_repair/auto_Permatex_Headlight_Lens_Restoration_Kit_1.htm

From searching it looks like it retails for about USD$12 and has everything you need in one pack.
i've used it on a 1991 subaru legacy and it was quite amazing considering it turned the yellowish plastic headlights clear again. but expect it to still be somewhat hazy... it won't make your headlight look like new again as claimed by their advertisement....

·
Registered
56 Posts
i used the polisher you hook up to a drill as mentioned above i think it was lensrnew.com....it worked well, but just because you hook it up to a drill, does not mean it will only take 5 mins, expect at least 15-20 per lens of holding the drill, and then the time it takes to wash your car after flinging crap everywhere

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just got a kit from lensrenew and used it, works pretty good. My lights were badly clouded and after one use, the lenses were 100% better. Did my passenger side a second time and the lens appears brand new. Now I have just have to complete the drivers side a second time. At 37 dollars, it might be a little pricey..you could get all the parts you need by yourself but I do have to admit that it worked wonders on my lights. I was considering buying new headlights, I am happy now I didn't

·
Registered
2 Posts
If someone is interested I got the lense cleaner after looking for it for about 6months u guy know how bad the head lamps in the passat can get I got some and use it now the headlights look like new it only takes like 5min per light let me know if someone want to buy some I will ship it to ur home it's not cheap but it works it even worked on my dads crown Vic I will post some pics later so u guys can see this really works

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yeah unfortunately once you have to sand that protective coating off to restore them, the plastic begins to deteriorate much faster and requires more attention from that point than it did new.
Ain't that a fact. Soon the one time restoration becomes a regular maintenance event.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts