Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will an indy mechanic do your timing belt job if you purchase the kit (say from ecstuning) and bring it to him?

Or is he just more likely to match your price?

I'm ready to sched mine this week and want to know what to expect.

Thanks

1999 Passat
5 speed
almost 70K miles

Also - can anyone recommend a good place to have the job done in the Albany, NY area? I know of one place but there might be others.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,300 Posts
They should do it for you but may not guarantee the work since they didn't get the parts. Some are cool as long as they are comfortable with the brand of the compnents. Just ask the shop.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think they will match the ecstuning.com price for the TB kit?

I printed it out and plan on showing them in hopes they will match the price, do the work and garantee it.

Am I asking too much?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
labor time shouldnt exceed around 4 hrs, which at $75/hr shouldnt run too much more than $300 in labor. as far as the parts price goes it will be really tough for an indy shop to match an internet wholesale price, he'll probably make zero money on parts and you wont be his favorite customer. i get really annoyed when people want to get there own parts, especially on a big tear down job where the car may be stuck in a bay if something is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have one indepenent shop near me that will only do the the TB job as an entire package. They won't let me supply the parts and won't give me an hourly rate. Since they want $1,100, I am not considering them.

Dealer ballparked $1,200, so they are out, too.

Another independent said I could supply the parts, but recommended a certain brand for the timing belt (which is the same as the one from www.dieselgeek.com) and would work for $50 an hour. I am inclined to use this guy, but he's never done an AWM engine before.

Estimates for time I am getting are closer to 7 hours, though I am sure an experienced person can do it in less time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have one indepenent shop near me that will only do the the TB job as an entire package. They won't let me supply the parts and won't give me an hourly rate. Since they want $1,100, I am not considering them.

Dealer ballparked $1,200, so they are out, too.

Another independent said I could supply the parts, but recommended a certain brand for the timing belt (which is the same as the one from www.dieselgeek.com) and would work for $50 an hour. I am inclined to use this guy, but he's never done an AWM engine before.

Estimates for time I am getting are closer to 7 hours, though I am sure an experienced person can do it in less time.
I've just done the TB/water pump/thermostat on my 02 AWM in my driveway while it was raining, in 5-6 hours. With the car on a lift + air tools, it should take around 3 hours tops.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Just devote a Saturday to it.... start at 9am, and even if it takes 10 hours, you will still have time to go get dinner and a beer that night!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts