Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 600 watt mono kicker amp with a 12" L7 kicker sub. sony hu, what can i do to increase the spl without spending alot of money. I have a spl competition coming up soon, and i want to set the state record for meca in the as1 level which is new to illinois. HELP!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
What type of box? If sealed, go ported. If you are already running a ported box, raise the tuning to get a larger peak in the 40-50hz range.

SPL comps are all about building, testing, rebuilding, and testing again. You wont get it right the first time, and without an spl meter to test with, its almost impossible to find the note your car peaks at.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Use one of the Kicker recommended dealed or bandpass boxes. I did two if the 1st gen. s10L7s in separate ported 1cf boxes in a ski boat and you could feel the damned thing in the street from the install bay and that was almost the length of a football field. Awesome. BTW, Kicker built a 10cf 9yes, 10cf) ported box for a S8L7 with 2 ZR1000s on it in a Ford Ranger that did 150 on it's first run.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I totally agree with the two posts above....... SPL is mostly the enclosure!!!!! You can have Jl, kicker, etc. and if the box isn't a rec cf. than you wasted your money. I had a friend that did 4 MTx blue thunder 10's( old school) and a punch 45hd running them and hit 141!!!! I would invest in an excellent installer that knows vas, cf,etc of enclosures. Ask to see his portfolio/pictures of the work he's done too.

-chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reply about spl

the l7 kicker that I have came already installed to a vented L7 box, it was a package made by kicker

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Would you happen to know what the box is tuned to, and how much port area do you have?

Your best bet is to try and get a hold of a meter find the note you are loudest at and tune accordingly.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
lazy...

It's more fun for me to have him do all the work ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts