Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 GLS, 71k miles... and the relay is going bonkers. Starts clicking in a faster pattern than normal when the turn signal or hazard lights are on at random times. Usually when I turn my headlights on or put some additional electrical load on the car, though I can't be certain- maybe coincidence. Though when I actually use them, it acts perfectly normal. Make the turn, turn-signal disables, and the mad clicking starts right back up in beat.

But I know it's driving me and my passengers mad (okay, maybe just me- passengers think it's funny. for about 3 minutes). Is there an easy fix here or is this a trip to the dealer? Any idea on the cost? I'm tempted to buy a new relay, if possible, and replace it myself. The 'sound' is coming from behind the stereo head unit.

Thoughts? :confused: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah? That's easier than I was expecting... just pry out the hazard switch?

Hell, I can get this fixed this afternoon if that's the case...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
yep, pry it from the top first and then the bottom and then it'll come out. disconnect it, plug in the new one and stick it back in the dash. it shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
There are different relay versions for Passat B5,maybe for yours too.I replaced mine by the version with a more comfortable working sound.Ask your VAG dealer for that.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, got the more comfortable working sound switch today, though if you look closely, it's the dark Antracite Gray color and not black. I'm SOL for matching it with my old black switch as it's even the same part number, but luckily it doesn't stand out that much- I can live with it.

Anyway... that didn't fix it! It was still clicking after I drove away from the dealership halfway back to the office. It was doing it less, for whatever that's worth, so where else in this system might a problem lie?

Might keep the switch anyway, even if it was 30 bucks. I like the new sound. Kinda gives my car a renewed personality. :p

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
hmmm....is it a rapid blinking? my brother's Passat had corroded terminals on one of his front turn signal bulb holders (but he has a b5 not a 5.5) that made it blink rapidly on the driver's side.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
agreed ^^^^

check those front bulbs and contacts. mine go wacky from time to time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's not the front bulbs or contacts. It's the switch in the steering column (the turn signal stalk). You have to remove airbag/steering wheel, but if you have Electronic Stability Program (ESP), it is a somewhat involved procedure reinstalling the steering wheel since you have to re-calibrate the steering wheel angle sensor that is part of the ESP system. (See Bentley manual) I have a 2003 GLS as well and had this exact problem. First I replaced the emergency flasher blinker relay--didn't solve the problem. Next I took my car to the dealer since I'm still under warranty, and they immediately knew the problem and installed a new switch in the steering column. Haven't had a problem since. I don't know how much this will cost to have fixed if you're not under CPO or extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, it's the rapid blinking sound, but the actual bulbs aren't blinking- it's just the sound of the relay. Didn't know about another switch in the steering column... how fast was that swap? I think I might go back to the dealership at lunch sometime this week and have them do that.

Thanks for all the advice as usual, folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm having the same issue!! So annoying!! Anyway, just wondering what the final resolution was. Was it the turn signal lever? Could you install it yourself or have to take it in? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just as a quick follow up...

I did some more research and discovered that spraying some WD-40 or other contact cleaner into where the turn signal stalk attaches to the steering column may take care of the problem. I tried it and it seems to have done the trick. Good luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My buddies Jetta was making a rapid turn signal clicking sound randomly with adn without the turns engaged. Ended up being a faulty ground.....could be related could not just some food for thought if it comes back.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Will be the turn signal stalk. Just replace it...easy to do if you're comfortable in removing the airbag, otherwise have an experienced tech do it. The wd40 will be temporary.

·
Registered
171 Posts
diggin up graves here. better than a new thread i guess. I had this issue...my was a faulty ignition switch. pretty easy change...although removing the airbag/horn from the front of the steering wheel can be a bit of a bitch.

if its the turn signal stock...that looks like a much more involved replacement. electrical stuff is a bitch. start with the easy stuff...and get yourself a wiring diagram and voltmeter (and know how to use it).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've had the constant clicking in both my Passat and our A6 (same turn signal stalk). At first I was pretty sure it was the turn signal / relay going bad, but in both cases, it was the contacts on the turn signal stalk wearing out and causing a short. As soon as both were replaced, the clicking stopped.

We do have replacements available here on the website:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

Replacing the switch really isn't too bad at all, the first one took me a little under and hour, the 2nd was done in 15 minutes once I knew exactly where things were.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have begun experiencing the "mad flasher," too. I tried the contact cleaner trick and it worked like a charm. It may be temporary, but a minute spent every 20k mi (or whatever) seems like a minor price to pay compared with pulling the steering wheel and airbag.

That contact cleaner works indicates that the turn signal switch is an open-frame sort of affair. If it were sealed, the contact cleaner would have no effect. I'll hazard a guess that as the switch wears, some metal whiskers might be generated which could partially short the switch. If I can wash that away with contact cleaner, all the better!

It may be a temporary fix but then a new switch is temporary, too. It's simply a matter of degree...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy old thread, Batman! I haven't logged in here for over a year I don't think, as I sold my Passat for an S8 (I also sold my Mk2 GTI and got a B5 A4 a couple weeks ago to use for more daily use- hey old folks!). That aside, I remember the fix being indeed the stalk- take Jon's word above and get a replacement unit. I remember trying to swap out the hazard switch to no avail, and ended up picking up a used stalk on here as that guy above suggested back then. I think and had the dealer install when I went in for an oil change, and do remember that was it- fixed it and stayed fixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts