Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

In the works: Mazda 6 performer, some spec's

3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Medrosje 
G
#1 ·

Mazda is prepping its own entry for the Subie-Mitsu rally wars—a 276-hp, 265-lb-ft Mazda 6 scheduled for a mid-2005 world debut. Spotted during hot-weather tests in the California desert, this sizzling prototype gets a twin-turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four that is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox and sends power via all-wheel drive to 18-inch tires.
Based on Mazda’s Mazda Performance Series concept shown in Paris in 2002, the production model should debut at this September’s Paris show, carrying either the MPS or MazdaSpeed moniker.

See less See more
#3 ·
Are they actually going to sell it? They promised this thing ages ago. If they offer it in wagon form they could really have something, if it's not too expensive. I suspect this will be more of an entry-luxo-sport competitor to the Legacy GT and Volvo S60R than the rally-wannabe WRX/STI/EVO.

#11 ·
Don't all Japanese manufacturers rate their cars "276 hp"? :p

I've heard rumors about how there was an unwritten agreement among Japanese automakers not to produce any domestic car producing more than that for safety reasons, but that doesn't sound too logical... :suspicio:

However, many iterations of the EVOs and WRX's are rated at that magical number....

#15 ·
Sharky said:
It is just a copy of a Passat.
Please tell me you're joking.

So are you saying the Mazda 6 has ignition coils that go out randomly, a myriad of sensors that go bad for no reason, below average horsepower/torque, tons of body lean and brake dive and wimpy shocks that wear out after 25k miles?

(Hey, I just thought of a new advertising line for VW commercials....."The Passat, it's like a German Camry without the reliability" :p :lol: )

Personally, I'm all for Mazda bringing out this car. Maybe cars like this, as well as the new Legacy will wake VW up and get them to finally release a new Passat with more horsepower and sportier handling.

#20 ·
stealthx32 said:
Don't all Japanese manufacturers rate their cars "276 hp"? :p

I've heard rumors about how there was an unwritten agreement among Japanese automakers not to produce any domestic car producing more than that for safety reasons, but that doesn't sound too logical... :suspicio:

However, many iterations of the EVOs and WRX's are rated at that magical number....
280PS = 276HP. Anyways, Subaru and Mitsu have had cars with higher ratings over the past few years. However, the JAMA recommendation was "officially" lifted recently. (Supposedly explained in this article, but I can't get a translator to work on it: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20040611-00000017-san-bus_all)

#22 ·
Twin turbos :bow: Hopefully one small one to spool up quickly, followed by a nice large turbo for higher rpm pulling!

I was thinking Saab for the next car, might have to reconsider, but I've got at least two years to think about it! Should just be the right time for Mazda to have the wrinkles all ironed out!

#25 ·
That's odd the duratec 3.0 in the mazda, all the articles I read claim its a ford motor, in my experience with ford, all the 'duratec' motors ford uses are mazda engines..
I really like the 3.0 Duratec in the tortoises/escapes.. but it's a shame it's mated to a crappy trans and stuffed into a tortoise... Test drove a mazda 6s/5M and it'll likely end up being the car I park next to the passat ... that is if the one car I'm looking into falls through on monday.. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.