Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
wow. doesn't even look p-chopped. me likey.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
j, you complain about the price of EVERY car. enough already! :lol:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I like the sedan and the variant... but I know it will cost and arm and a leg and I have already given those to fill my variant with gas!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Looking at the current pricing of the 3.6L 4motion this is going to be 40K+ for the car. Considering the new BMW 335 is going to have over 300hp the coupe starts just above 40K and the sedans just under 39K...I would have a hard time picking the passat considering it will have much worse resale and BMW dealer network is far better (also free maintenance).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Looking at the current pricing of the 3.6L 4motion this is going to be 40K+ for the car. Considering the new BMW 335 is going to have over 300hp the coupe starts just above 40K and the sedans just under 39K...I would have a hard time picking the passat considering it will have much worse resale and BMW dealer network is far better (also free maintenance).
They're completely different cars though (coupe vs. 4-door to begin with). The new Passats are closer in size to the 5-series as well. The only 5-series over 300hp is the 550, which starts in the 60s.

The 335 will definitely be a better deal if you're just looking for a performance car, regardless of size. At the same time though, don't expect to find many $40-41K 335s sitting on the lot. Most BMWs on the lot have at least a few options installed that will easily push it to $45-46K.

As far as resale, it depends how many VW decides to bring over. Search for some old R32s and they've barely dropped in price, even though you know they've been abused. Low mileage ones can even sell for original MSRP.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
They're completely different cars though (coupe vs. 4-door to begin with). The new Passats are closer in size to the 5-series as well. The only 5-series over 300hp is the 550, which starts in the 60s.

The 335 will definitely be a better deal if you're just looking for a performance car, regardless of size. At the same time though, don't expect to find many $40-41K 335s sitting on the lot. Most BMWs on the lot have at least a few options installed that will easily push it to $45-46K.
Compared to a Volvo V60R????:p

·
Registered
422 Posts
Compared to a Volvo V60R????:p
Think you mean V70R. The standard B6 3.6 is not as sporty, but stacks up pretty well in the power dept and is lots cheaper. Ever sit in the backseat of a S60/V70? Very cramped. The new passat is a big car, it can't be compaired to smaller cars like a 3 series or A4 anymore.

I'll take the R36 sedan as is, with blacked out rims, grill and emblems! :)

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
S60R is the sedan. But yeah. Prices have crept up on premium sedans recently. I wish VW luck in pushing the R36. The 3.6L 4Motion Passat *starts* at $31k...

The S60R was a bargain @ $34k when it was first released. I think it starts around $37k nowadays, but still...given the technology and comfort of the car, its still a bargain compared to anything comparably equipped.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
i have a 2007 s60r at work sticker is 43,000 you know no one pays sticker at volvo. i drove it the other day awesome ride, hands down badass ride they won,t make them past 2007! . the v70r is a realbad ass wagon ,the volvos hold up the resale value they are at the top .i never really thought about volvo cars until i saw the 850,s and now the s60r and the v70rs, but when you compare sports sedans i would have to say all speed is great and all but when you look for safety and speed no one compares to volvo . also another good thing is that the warranty is 4yr or 50,000 miles plus you get 50,000 mile road side assist . no lie a sales rep in tampa was in a accident which involved a truck and 5 cars the truck hit the cars at a full speed and everyone died except the guy in the s60 sedan. he walked away the cars flipped and rolled but to walk away from something like this is crazy. we get doctors come in and trade brand new acuras mdx with only 700 miles on them to get a xc90 suv because of safety, a guy traded a 06 330i for a s60r because of safety. it makes me think dam i might have to think about getting a volvo next but i still love vws , just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I still think the VW R-GT concept appearance package looks far better (except for the serrated top of the bumper opening):

A fully loaded 3.6 Passat hits at around $40,000, anything more than that would be insane. I'd rather take an Audi, BMW, Volvo or even an Infiniti.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts