Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We’ve covered Porsche’s plans for the next-generation Boxster convertible in considerable detail (July 5, May 10), but it has been almost a year since last we spied a prototype of the roadster’s hardtop cousin (Aug. 11, 2003)—and quite a bit has changed since then.

These latest shots of the Boxster coupe reveal a tauter tail and roofline, with large rear glass and roadster-like fenders to help distance the entry-level mid-engined Porsche from its iconic rear-engined big brother, the 911. The coupe debuts at the Frankfurt motor show in 2005, following the roadster’s world premiere in Detroit next January.

Source: Autoweek

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
steffenme1 said:
Big surprise it almost looks identical to the old one. Way to innovate!!!
ever look at a 911 over the last 40 years? they don't have an issue with that car, you think they'll have the same with this one? (i don't)

how come i'm seeing similarities with the new chrysler crossfire in those rear and rear 3/4 shots?

·
Registered
439 Posts

Here's what forty years of design change will get you with another sportscar.

Look, don't get me wrong, I'd gladly give my left testicle for a Porsche of my own, I'm just saying it must be real easy being the head of Porsche design, sit on your ass and every 20 years or so sketch out a new headlight.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
that's because they're so busy designing the uber-supercars and dominant race vehicles.

IMO, trying to use the vette as an example of evolutionary design. those cars are FUGLY and since way way back, have been FUGLYx2. that's my $0.02

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't think Porsche needs to change their 911 and Boxster designs because they are so legendary. 911's coke bottle design can be described as the most timeless icon ever. Just a minor change to refresh the styling and upgrade the already legendary performance + handling, it still remain the panache of what a daily drivable sports car should be. A standard which others to be judged. Given Boxster's design dates back to 550 Spyder and "Secret Police" 914, its another Porsche design that can stand the test of time without major changes. Not many car companies have this kind of authority when it comes to revolving a legendary design, however, Porsche can and will always be. :beer:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
The Boxster will still be adop top. These pictures and the article referenced are about the addition of a hardtop version to the line. I don't think the pictures are that bad. It will be interesting to see a production version in person. I've always though pictures have never done Porsche a lot of justice...not sure why (maybe it's the curves)?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Medrosje said:
that's because they're so busy designing the uber-supercars and dominant race vehicles.

IMO, trying to use the vette as an example of evolutionary design. those cars are FUGLY and since way way back, have been FUGLYx2. that's my $0.02
yeah, here's a pic i found of a corvette owner

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The one and only thing I don't like is the center exhaust. I just don't like center exhausts....

The rest is pretty close to perfect: Small, 2 seater, hardtop, Porsche..... I wonder what it will weigh. I hope much less than 3000lb.

It will be a while for the lease returns come back. I hope I can wait ... :wink:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Medrosje said:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

:thumbup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the hijacking, but if you are actually trying to say that corvette is more progressive in design than porsche your wasting your time. I would dare to say that they evolved at a simular rate, hell corvette just gave up pop lights recently.

The heritage of each company shows from there first model to the last, you can look at anyone one of their cars from any angle at any speed and say hey thats a 911/corvette! neitheer of them are radical with design and both companies like to stick to the script "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

-Steve

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
there will be a hardtop version of the boxster but it will remain a roadster first.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
Let me guess this straight. The next Boxster will be a hardtop, mid-engined, powerfull, light weight coupe?

I guess it's official, the 911 is now a GT coupe, and not a 'sports car'.
Yea, it's been official for over a decade. IMO The 911 has been more of a GT than a sports car since the 964. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Porsches have always been the car you could take to the golf game on Saturday and the race track on Sunday. The basic design has never been that of a purebred hardcore sports car. The current car is a natural evolution of the concept.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Damn you guys are a tough room, look, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, and once again I'll state that I LOVE Porsches. I'm not a big fan of american cars at all, thus the reason I'm not posting on ClubC4 (if there is such a thing) but for a company to sit on it's ass in the design department is stupid. I was merely using the Corvette as an example because the design has changed so dramatically over the years.

And Porsche is more than capable of stunning design work, take a look at the new GT. It's a damn work of art, it looks nothing like any of the Porsches that have come before it, but it retains it's genetics so well that you could remove all it's badges and it would be unmistakable.

Once again, sorry for the hijack :sad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.