Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Spy Shot: Subaru Tribeca

Latest news on the jointly-developed 'Saabaru' Subaru-Saab 4x4/station wagon crossover: the Subaru version is to be called Tribeca (an outlying borough of New York City). Subaru registered this name as a trademark earlier this year - along with the names Montauk (another NYC suburb, on Long Island), Continuum and Halifax for use on other upcoming models - and this name is likely to be used for the car in Europe as well as in the USA.

The Tribeca will be the first Subaru to feature a new-look grille, as seen on the B9SC concept car and on the WX-01 concept from which it has been developed. It will seat seven, with two small rearmost seats, and all the rear seats will fold flat for a versatile load space. The car has already been shown to consumer clinics in southern California, according to thecarconnection.com, and is said to have received positive feedback.

To be built in Lafayette, Indiana, production of the Tribeca will start next summer. It will be built alongside Saab's version - likely to be called 9-6X, a trademark also registered earlier this year - but the two models will have different styling and interior treatments. Power will come from engines including Subaru's 3.0-litre flat-six, though the 9-6X is expected to be offered with a GM-sourced diesel engine, at least in Europe. Saab and Subaru expect to build around 40,000 examples a year in Lafayette, and the Tribeca will ultimately replace the current Legacy Outback.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
That's the thing. This will not be a compact SUV. It's still car based, but with the third row seating, it's a step up in the size class. Should be competing with the likes of the Pilot and Toyota Highlander.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
just the name makes me think it will blow.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
Thumber said:
Who needs another Subbie Compact SUV.
Scooby Doo thinks a Pacifica-like crossover would bring them further upmarket. :lol:
Becoming recognized as a "premium" brand is important these days, with so many buyers defining themselves in terms of the badge on their car's hood. How's the Audi treating you?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
not to fair to pass judgement on a car the we can barley see, much less actually drive.

If this is excuted anything like the new Legacy, I believe subaru is headed in the right direction.

They want to move up market, and like Mac said thats important.

But I will bet you a nickel that you wont see any $90,000 subies any time soon.

:poke:

and thats a good thing.

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Subaru's articles in their owner magazine have indicated that they want to achieve "premium" status, but not luxury per say. The specific pitch is "According to Subaru of America design team member Ron Will, Peter Tenn and Brenda Robert, being a premium brand demands that all elements of a vehicle work together. It requires synergy between marketing, aesthetics, engineering, safety and materials. The recent emphasis on design brings aesthetics into balance with other elements. The design team likens the forthcoming aesthetic changes in Subaru vehicles to a makeover - the heart and core technology remain, but the package is more attractive. The aesthetic takes the brand to a higher level."

Sounds straight out of a B.S. generator, but that's the schpiel.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
... Subaru version is to be called Tribeca (an outlying borough of New York City). Subaru registered this name as a trademark earlier this year - along with the names Montauk (another NYC suburb, on Long Island)...
So who's the geographically challanged writer who wrote this? Tribeca is a neighborhood in Manhattan and it is short for "Triangle Below Canal St." Montauk is a tiny town at the very easternmost tip of Long Island - about a 2.5 hour drive from the border of Queens. It's no where near NYC. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
But they are claiming brand new design of grill, like that ugly one on Impreza. It is also visible on those spy shots that they used it. Corporate "nose" image is changing.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I know what your saying Mac, but the fact is that its a Scoobie. So they'll sell tons of them. I never thought I'd see a Baja or whatever they call that sport truck thingy. But I see quite a few around.

I always liked Subie's and for the most part still do.

oh and my Audi is treating me wonderful. But maintenance is a bit high. Oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.