Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of big mac (Macabre). what do we really think of the rebadged wrx?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this one. My immediate reaction is that this is a cool idea. It's also an attractive alternative considering that it's only a mere $3k premium over the reg WRX. The Saabaru also costs considerably less than the mediocre FWD performing Saab 9-2. It's also pretty good looking car if you take it at face value. I like the rear design of the car. From a business perspective, I think it should take lure away some potential entry-level BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Lexus customers. I don't know how good servicing SAAB has, but I'd guess it would be slightly better than Subaru, bieng that SAAB is prob considered an entry-level luxury car.

The bad is that it seems just too similar looking to the WRX. The platform sharing thing is just too blantantly obvious. I'd say the Mk4 Jetta and the Mk4 Golf look more different to each other than the Saabaru and the WRX. On another level is kinda scary it shows that GM is a little too willing to throw around parts among diff companies. While I wouldn't mind a bit more Subaru and Saab technology/ideas in GM cars, I couldn't say the same about the reverse.

·
Registered
246 Posts
its got the looks, it will have the turbo. i say its a winner and would love to see one in my driveway with Filness2 on the plate.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
GM has bastardized Saab. :thumbdow:

Sad. :(

It's the same company that pulls the steering wheel from the Malibu parts bin and puts it in the 50-60k C6 Corvette.

Note to GM, you're not fooling anyone.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd prefer them spending time and money on 5 door hatch instead :thumbdow: Does anyone really need WRX from SAAB :???: I was expecting way more than cut-and-paste approach after 9x concept was introduced :cry:

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I was never a Saab fan... but I do aknowledge & respect its history & unique niche in automotive design. This bastardization of a WRX is saddeing & very disapointing. Rather than continue being one of the last truly unique vehicles out there, they chose to simply copy an existing car. If I were a Saab enthusiast, I would feel extremely dissapointed by GM and their betrayal Saab. Its sad that what once was one of the most recognizable makes is reduced to yet another cookie cutter rebadging.

Bad form GM. Score one for Ford & DC.

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
GM has bastardized Saab. :thumbdow:

Sad. :(

It's the same company that pulls the steering wheel from the Malibu parts bin and puts it in the 50-60k C6 Corvette.

Note to GM, you're not fooling anyone.
They're fooling someone. More people buy GM then any others. I can't figure it our either.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The exterior is nice, cleaner lines and more pleasing to the eye than the chunky WRX on which it is based. I haven't seen many pics of the interior, but that would be what would win me over - that and other luxo features like xenons.

I'm more concerned with price. The base model will use the 165hp engine and cost more than the WRX - that's just not cool. I'm afraid the Aero which uses the 227hp turbo engine will be closer to $30k. Oh well.... too far out of my price range to consider.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The fact that it looks a lot like a baby 9-5 wagon helps a lot.

I think GM is doing a pretty good job of keeping the doors of Saab open, given the fact they haven't been making a whole lot of money and need new products, such as the 9-2X, to get more people in the door. The only thing about this car that concerns me is that the entry level model will not have a turbo, a Saab trait for quite some time. :(

I do, however, think that GM would be wise to poor a little more investment money into saab and give the saab loyalist what they want, a true saab hatch. But even when they changed from the 9000 to the 9-5 (hatch to notchback or sedan) they began to sell more cars and the same goes for the old 9-3 to the current one.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
IMO, as a Saab and Subaru fan, I think its a great way for Saab amd GM to explore an entry level car for Saab without sinking tons of money into development.
I like the 9-2X better than the WRX; it looks cleaner and not as racy. Saab also cleaned up the interior a bit.
For some extra cash, you are getting what is perceived as better customer service, too. It worked for Lexus and Infiniti; why not GM?
And, its a great lead in for the 9-3X, whose nose can be seen in the back of pic 2: that car is bigger, and the 250 hp 2.0 ECOTech engine.
AS far as GM bastardizing Saab, what company hasn't yet bastardized another? Hell Chrysler bastardized Lambo by using the V12 architecture for its own V10 program; lots of Mopar parts will be in MB soon (if not already), Ford sells a so-called Jag on a Mondeo chassis. etc.
And lets not frorget the next Taurus chassis is a Volvo - oops, its the other way around now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wonder where GM is expecting this to sell. Perhaps in northern Europe there is a low saturation of Subaru cars, so this may be more welcome there. It is good to hear from TDIBUGMAN that the interior was cleaned up a bit because I think that the Impreza looks junky inside. They could have put a bit more effort into the body; at least it is not two tone body cladding.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
20vvillian said:
Isn't lambo owned by audi ?
Through much of the late 80's and early 90's, they were owned by Chrysler. Many parts had the Pentastar stamped on them. And Chryler used them for engineering, etc. They also had innfluence with Maserati during that period....

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TDIBUGMAN said:
20vvillian said:
Isn't lambo owned by audi ?
Through much of the late 80's and early 90's, they were owned by Chrysler. Many parts had the Pentastar stamped on them. And Chryler used them for engineering, etc. They also had innfluence with Maserati during that period....
got it, you ment the early lambo's

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
hotani said:
The exterior is nice, cleaner lines and more pleasing to the eye than the chunky WRX on which it is based. I haven't seen many pics of the interior, but that would be what would win me over - that and other luxo features like xenons.
Have any of you guys looked at the the two cars side by side? The Exterior lines are exactly the same. GM changes the front end, and the rear tail lights.

As for the interior, you have leather. The rest of the interior is again the same.

-Nick

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
hotani said:
Have any of you guys looked at the the two cars side by side? The Exterior lines are exactly the same. GM changes the front end, and the rear tail lights.

As for the interior, you have leather. The rest of the interior is again the same.

-Nick
Yeah, it doesn't cost much to redesign front and rear clips, put some leather inside and a Saab logo on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
hotani said:

-Nick
sometimes that's all it takes. I think the front end and hood are chunky on the WRX, and much cleaner on the saabaru - of course, that won't stop me from buying the WRX! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts