Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my names Caleb I’m out of mn. I got into a bad buy situation. I bought a 2000 B5 VW Passat 1.8T Manuel tranny from a guy. He claimed the fuel pump was out. Anywase after some work I put in a new fuel pump, that didn’t work, found out my crank shaft pulley the nut was loose so I tightened that up checked the timing, checked and it has air fuel pressure spark and timing. put a new cam shaft position sensor in still shell crank but it just will not fire no matter what I do I’m stumped I have the original key it has an aftermarket radio in it. I just don’t know what els to do it all I’ll not fire. I need help!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,286 Posts
Scan for codes and post them up. Also, please make sure you are posting int he correct forum. Mobile electronics was not the right spot for this.

Reactions: ChevT

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
I think you you might be in over your head.
If the crankshaft pulley bolt was loose, you need to replace it with a new bolt and torque to the correct specifications.
The valve timing would need to be checked.
What is the compression in each cylinder ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scan for codes and post them up. Also, please make sure you are posting int he correct forum. Mobile electronics was not the right spot for this.
Sorry still a new guy to the Passat forums

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you you might be in over your head.
If the crankshaft pulley bolt was loose, you need to replace it with a new bolt and torque to the correct specifications.
The valve timing would need to be checked.
What is the compression in each cylinder ?
Hey thanks for your response, so far I’ve narrowed it down to the immobilizer. Gone through checking all of the working plugs fuses relays. My car is the B5 atw and it has a Bosch I think, correct me if I’m wrong ECU under the hood that looks almost new so Theirs gotta be some numbers not matchin up also I have only 1 key phob switchblade style key with the transmitter and immobilizer inside the phob. I’ll try to get reading of each cylinders compression

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
There is not an immobilizer on the 2000 Passat in the US.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
It is NOT the immobiliser !
As PZ said, but if your car does have an immobiliser it can't prevent starting.

Another point on that loose crank bolt, be sure to check the keying in the shaft and pulley before fitting the new bolt.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
188 Posts
Crank but no start...Been there recently. The 'loose crank bolt' is an oddity. The best way to go is from a VCDS scan and post the codes. From the basics - she has fuel, and spark, and compression...The timing must be way way off.

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
Of all of the times I have seen posts about a loose crank bolt, it resulted in the crank pulley spinning and shearing the key. This causes the cam timing to go out and bends valves. Since the bolt has to be replaced with every use, I would pull the crank pulley and confirm the key is not sheared.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Of all of the times I have seen posts about a loose crank bolt, it resulted in the crank pulley spinning and shearing the key. This causes the cam timing to go out and bends valves. Since the bolt has to be replaced with every use, I would pull the crank pulley and confirm the key is not sheared.
Same here. As long as I can remember being on this forum, this has been a not so common problem and has eluded even some of the veteran members, but it does happen.
It's not something you should shrug off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts