·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In-Dash DIN-form-factor Car PC

Courtesy of Slashdot...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/07/25/0559252&mode=thread&tid=159&tid=186
Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday July 25, @03:44AM
from the taking-the-computer-for-a-spin dept.
kraksmokr writes "Xenarc Technologies have introduced a cool new in-dash DIN-form-factor Car PC.
http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp1000.html
It features built in hard drive, audio/video, and GPS, among other things. Estimated price will be about $1200. I can't even begin to list the possibilities for mobile computing bliss." I'm even more impressed that they can fit it into the dash than I am with in-dash CD changers. If you buy this thing, use it safely. None of us want auto PC users to end up in the same category as annoying cell phone users.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
worth watching, for sure!

too bad there's no digital audio interface (spdif). running a true digital audio interface to the rear where the amps and DAC would be, man, that would really rock!

and serial ata would mean you could put a bank of drives in the back and run a more quiet front dash. I strongly believe that drives do NOT belong anywhere up front, you'll hear them and I hate hearing seek noise in drives while listening to music! even in the car.

maybe next generation they'll give it better i/o.

·
Registered
85 Posts
linux-works said:
worth watching, for sure!

too bad there's no digital audio interface (spdif). running a true digital audio interface to the rear where the amps and DAC would be, man, that would really rock!

and serial ata would mean you could put a bank of drives in the back and run a more quiet front dash. I strongly believe that drives do NOT belong anywhere up front, you'll hear them and I hate hearing seek noise in drives while listening to music! even in the car.

maybe next generation they'll give it better i/o.
Shuttle build some a nice small line of P4/athlon boxes called XPC. Go to http://www.googlegear.com/ and search for XPC. The G series are priced really nice (~$200) but for in-car the G2 series have S-Video/Composite out for around $300.

I believe the whole line of XPCs support 5.1 channel audio and AC-3 Digital SPDIF Output. They have the usual set of IO with connectors front AND BACK as well as a PCI slot, an AGP slot.

Just need to sort out a display and control system.

-m

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh my God! I had no idea this sort of thing was possible!

The possiblities are ENDLESS with an actual computer in your dash.

But you guys are right, the hard drive seek noise would be a bitch at times.

A tiny LCD monitor could be mounted on the back of your driver's side flip down sun visor, I think.

Maybe it's even possible to drop an LCD down from the rearview mirror. Who knows.

If this system had a pop out LCD from the unit itself in the dash, then it would be perfect.

The possibilities are so exciting, especially for a guy like me. I'm a writer, and have grown to enjoy occassionally using voice data recognition software so I can walk around my office and just talk to my computer and have it record what I say.

Some voice recognition softwares allow total control of the system via the programmable commands.

I could certainly run this software on the IN DASH COMPUTER in my car, and could effectively turn my B5 into a mobile office...whenever I'm driving anywhere, I can be working! This is crazy.

And screw CD changers, I could just put all of my CDs into MP3 format and upload them to the computer, just run winamp or some similar mp3 client.

This is crazy!

If the front of the computer could only be Black, instead of the ugly PC gray color!

I guess nothing is perfect!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Would be nice if it had DVD instead of CDROM... Sounds like they'll have a better unit out in a few months :) And add 802.11g wireless so I can download music to my B5 while in the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts