Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it was bound to happen one day i guess.
Anyway, im driveing away minding my business, when wham!!!! i get smashed at the intersection. The street I was driveing on has no stop traffic, the lady that hit me apparently ran the stop sign or didnt look twice before she plowed into my car. :cry:
I was soo pissed off, still am. But, what can you do, shit happens.
Anyway, the car got hit right on the front corner of the car, so my clear corner is smashed, my headlight, although the plastic isnt damaged or scratched the headlight is pushed into the car. All the lights still work though, even the corner. My hood has a small bend in it, possibly needs to be resprayed. Front fendor has a small bend in it only visible from a weird angle.
When i got out of the car to look at the damage, i expected the worse cause it felt like a damn freight train just hit me. It dosent look really bad, but i bet the hood is gonna cost the most to get fixed and the headlight thing may cost a lot too.

Anyway, im pretty down right now. I put a whole lot of money into this car last year, hell ive only had it a year. The damage is only cosmetic as far as i know. I havent been on the highway yet so cross your fingers. But on a good note,
OUR CARS ARE MADE OF STEEL , well not really but they sure can take a big hit. The other persons car front tire was bent at a 45 degree angle. It barely started back up.

No one was hurt so overall thats a good thing. I had my seatbelt on, not sure about the other person, but they seemed to be fine also.

So... now comes the part of getting the damn car fixed and this time its not the cars fault.
Ill post some pics later when i get a chance to go out and take a few. Anyone know round about how much a new headlight for a 99B5 will cost? Not the actuall headllight, but whatever holds it in place is what is broken, the headlight and houseing i believe is fine. I may need a new bumper too, not sure, its not broken or cracked or bent but it has some pretty deep scratches and its not sheet metal so they cant just smooth it out and paint it. I would rather buy all the parts myself instead of letting the insurance company handle it all. I think i can probably get an aftermarket bumper cheaper than a factory one? I also hear that dents in hoods are hard to fix, and make look perfect. I dont want an uneven hood, ill rather get a new one. Where can I find a hood other than a junk yard? If i have to replace it.

Hopefully there is no other damage other than what i see!

pics later

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
sorry to hear of your troubles....I too was recently in an accident and with a very small gouge in the bumper and a oddly bent fender my estimate came to around a thousand dollars. Hopefully you get your car repaired back to tip top shape good luck with everything :thumbup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
You can do that, buy all the parts and have the insurance company reimburse you?

I was wondering what would happen to my mods if I got in an accident. I've always wondered if the insurance company would reimburse you for HID's, etc., especially since it what was not your fault.

I had a close call yesterday, was pissed about for a while.....

Good luck man.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
JokerUNM said:
...I've always wondered if the insurance company would reimburse you for HID's, etc., especially since it what was not your fault...
State Farm does. Just keep your receipts...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Rusty said:
JokerUNM said:
...I've always wondered if the insurance company would reimburse you for HID's, etc., especially since it what was not your fault...
State Farm does. Just keep your receipts...
Nice, I have State Farm. Wow I have to stop complaining about them all the time now. Well just a little. :)

·
Registered
871 Posts
HermanH said:
You can always get a carbon fiber hood this time around. Judging from the photos it'll take a good impact and still come out looking straight. www.fiberimages.com
Click on the video's on the left just to see how tough these things are.
This option gets my vote. Paint it if don't like the bare look.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i just came back from the collision place and the estimate they gave me is 1700 bucks.

Seems kind of high to me, the parts are only 530 bucks. Which isnt bad, but the labor and paint is where it tripples the price.

Anyone know where i can get a headlight assembly?
New bumper (not factory)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that you're okay.

This may be the perfect time to do some mods to your car like front bumpers, spoiler, kamei grille, etc. Discuss with the bodyshop and see if they can work with you as long as it doesn't exceed the original estimate. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
JokerUNM said:
You can do that, buy all the parts and have the insurance company reimburse you?

I was wondering what would happen to my mods if I got in an accident. I've always wondered if the insurance company would reimburse you for HID's, etc., especially since it what was not your fault.

I had a close call yesterday, was pissed about for a while.....

Good luck man.
My wife works for insurance agency. I asked her this Q once, she said all you have to do, if you have more than $1k in mods, is to let your insurance company know that you have custom car. You might get slightly higher insurance, but you will get all your mods covered in case of accident.

Sorry to hear about it, but at least you are all OK :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
XedoS69
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing