Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's Passat was a sludgebucket when we bought it. We knew this and rebuilt the engine. It has run GREAT for 5K miles using the ATW bottom end and a rebuilt AEB head. Of course there is no SAI system but it doesn't need it.

So lately it's started to leak oil. Now when we bought it we replaced the breather hose(#2) and the PCV (#6)

So the other day I started looking for the leak and found #5 had ruptured. I replaced #5 Saturday morning and took it for a good test drive. No leaks there but I started having way more oil around the rear main(which is 5K old)

So I got pissed because our precious perfect running Passat was now REALLY leaking oil. After some thinking I finally concluded that the breather system had to be at fault. Sure enough...the breather metal line from #5 to the 034 puck was COMPLETELY clogged up. I cleaned the pipe out and put everything back together. It's still leaking oil:thumbdown

Now I'm starting to think this thing truely needs to breath better. When I pulled the oil filler cap with the engine running I felt a good bit of air coming out. I couldn't imagine what it would be like with the engine running hard.

So...here's what I'm thinking, VW got their together with the later AWM valvecover by installing a second breather hole on the valvecover as pictured below:

the AEB and ATW valvecovers are NOT vented.

So here's my idea. How about I tap my valvecover much like the AWM valvecover and run a small hose that gets tapped in to my hard metal line? I'm pretty sure this will help out the engine and VW did it. Has anyone ever done this?

Whatever the case...this thing needs to breathe better. If I don't get it solved I'm going to rip out all the shit and build it like my 16vT:

Thanks for help,

Jason

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
well, my best advice would be to see if they both git that head. i'm talking about the valve covers.

other than that, find an area with little to nothing in the way, drill a big enough hole, and tap, then thread the hole, then screw on in a hose port to vent off more gasses.

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,715 Posts
the AWM valve cover fits the AEB/ATW heads, most audizine guys use this valve cover to run a catch can easier, the others just drill and tap the cover in the same spot. i plan on doing this at some point just not sure if im going to drill and tap or get an AWM valve cover.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts