Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2000 Passat wagon almost a month ago. I was curious to know the name of the paint color and the code so I began to look it up. After searching on here it says the code could be found on the sticker inside the spare tire well or in the manual.

When I looked for the sticker in the spare tire well I immediately got a nervous feeling. :nervous: <----Pretty much describes the feeling right there. The vehicle identification sticker is NOT there and was obviously turn out (small fragments of the edges remain). Since the spare tires looks to have never been used it makes me wonder why someone would have taken off the sticker.

I when I bought it then included a carfax report showing it was a clean car.

I just went out to make sure the dash vin plate and the driver door sticker matched. Which they did. One thing that is making me even more nervous is that as I looked at the door sticker it appears that either the sticker was moved or a new sticker was put on (around the sticker the outside of the sticker you can see residue from what I would assume to be a previous sticker).

Where in the manual would I find the sticker or information about my car?
Are there any other areas I should look for numbers or anything to identify it?

I only got one switchblade (master) key with the car (not the 2 master keys, 1 valet key and a key tag like the manual says).

I'm beginning to worry that there's a possibility that there could be serious issues with my car.....possibly it could be a problem car with a vin from a clean car on it. :nervous:

Any advice or tips from you all are greatly appreciated!
Andy

·
Registered
366 Posts
The sticker in the manual is on the first pages. If even that is ripped off from the manual, then I would say there is some fishyness going on. The sticker in the spare tire well might of worn off by itself though if there has been moisture in the tire well.

Then again, maybe the sticker from the tire well has been removed and put on the door, since I don't have stickers on my driver door.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking a look at the first page of the maintenance manual I see the vehicle identification box. No sticker. No residue or anything so it was either never there or it came off cleanly.

There is one maintenance record from 5-31-00 so I believe it's the original book.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I think there is a "partial VIN" stamped on the firewall(?) - it is partial because all of the information for the full VIN would not have been known when the body was stamped.
Unfortunately, a clean Carfax means squat. Read the disclaimer.
If there was damage that was never reported to insurance/ accident report, or falls below x amount of dollars, it won't show.
When I bought my used W8 it had only the one switchblade key and no manual. It did have the service section of the manual (filled out) and the Monsoon radio section. I bought a new manual, which of course was totally blank. I transfered the service section, but discarded the radio one as it was stained with coffee - I failed to keep the radio security code (oops!).
The dealer did get me a second switchblade key made.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know where on the firewall that could be found?
I still don't know what to think at this point. :nervous:
On the plus side the radio code is written in the book, if it's the right code or not who knows. My radio is working so I'm not gonna risk trying to find out! LOL.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
It should be directly center on the fire wall, but you said you had the vin plate on the dash so you should be fine. If the vin tag is on the door, its possibley that its a police recovery.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The full VIN is stamped into the sheet metal somewhere. I'm pretty sure federal law requires it. My previous car had it clearly visible on the engine firewall.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I got my 2000 Passat wagon almost a month ago. I was curious to know the name of the paint color and the code so I began to look it up. After searching on here it says the code could be found on the sticker inside the spare tire well or in the manual.

When I looked for the sticker in the spare tire well I immediately got a nervous feeling. :nervous: <----Pretty much describes the feeling right there. The vehicle identification sticker is NOT there and was obviously turn out (small fragments of the edges remain). Since the spare tires looks to have never been used it makes me wonder why someone would have taken off the sticker.

I when I bought it then included a carfax report showing it was a clean car.

I just went out to make sure the dash vin plate and the driver door sticker matched. Which they did. One thing that is making me even more nervous is that as I looked at the door sticker it appears that either the sticker was moved or a new sticker was put on (around the sticker the outside of the sticker you can see residue from what I would assume to be a previous sticker).

Where in the manual would I find the sticker or information about my car?
Are there any other areas I should look for numbers or anything to identify it?

I only got one switchblade (master) key with the car (not the 2 master keys, 1 valet key and a key tag like the manual says).

I'm beginning to worry that there's a possibility that there could be serious issues with my car.....possibly it could be a problem car with a vin from a clean car on it. :nervous:

Any advice or tips from you all are greatly appreciated!
Andy
the 3 keys mentioned in manual are for new vechicle delivery only,......not pre-owned , when i bought two vws CPO ,one came with 3 keys,other came w/2 ,depends on who had it previously and didnt lose keys,dealer cpo says it has to, come w/ 2 keys........dosnt say both have to be remotes!!!!!!sounds like your being paranoid for no reason, ...........but it also sounds like the car was body damaged repaired IMO ,but i could be mistaken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's light enough.
It has the Vehicle Emissions Control sticker on the left side of the engine compartment.
I didn't see a vin plate but maybe it's behind the plastic guard to keep leaves and crap out of the engine. I'll take that off on Thanksgiving during halftime of the football game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the 3 keys mentioned in manual are for new vechicle delivery only,......not pre-owned , when i bought two vws CPO ,one came with 3 keys,other came w/2 ,depends on who had it previously and didnt lose keys,dealer cpo says it has to, come w/ 2 keys........dosnt say both have to be remotes!!!!!!sounds like your being paranoid for no reason, ...........but it also sounds like the car was body damaged repaired IMO ,but i could be mistaken
There's a good chance I might just be paranoid. I've been having a HORRIBLE week so I happend to discover this at the WRONG time.

Another fact I'll throw in is that the car was bought by the dealer at auction.

As for the keys I know how it goes, my previous Saab only came with one. Reason I put that is was if it was stolen or such they'd have to make a new key and program it.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
It is 7 model years old, so if it was taken in on trade the dealer may have sent it straight to auction without even bothering to recondition and try to sell it.
But, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone might not be out to get you.
Per Bentley - the VIN is stamped in the firewall above the rear of the engine.
It is not behind the plastic windshield wiper shield. It may be full, or partial with "Z"s in the missing places according to Bentley.
My W8 has the full VIN on the firewall, as did my V6 before it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok one mystery solved.
I found the vin number on the firewall (damn hose was covering it).
It matches.

Which leads me to believe it was either a police recovery or an accident car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is 7 model years old, so if it was taken in on trade the dealer may have sent it straight to auction without even bothering to recondition and try to sell it.
But, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone might not be out to get you.
Per Bentley - the VIN is stamped in the firewall above the rear of the engine.
It is not behind the plastic windshield wiper shield. It may be full, or partial with "Z"s in the missing places according to Bentley.
My W8 has the full VIN on the firewall, as did my V6 before it.
I'm an ice hockey goalie:crazy: so everyone is always out to get me.:p

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Alright, another hockey player!

I play forward, and yes, we are out to get you. :)

Welcome to PW, glad you were able to straighten this out.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I bought my car new (2000) and I just looked in the spare tire well, the paper there has been torn away. (I have used the spare a couple of times, so maybe it was me) The metalized sticker on the door is still there, if yours was in an accident and that area repaired it may be in the scrap heap somewhere. It would seem to me that an accident that severe would not avoid insurance claims, is that where Carfax gets its info?

·
Registered
284 Posts
seems weird they would have to mess with the sticker on the door jamb, even with a full respray, most shops try not to mess with em becauase they can be a pain to replace, unless they sprayed it a different color. have you checked to see if it has been fully resprayed? check under the hood, pull off weatherstriping, lift carpet, ect. a good respray by a good body shop will be hard to spot, but there will be signs. does the paint look 7 years old?

if your really worried, i'm pretty sure you can still send the vin to VW of america and they can de-code the VIN for you, that should tell you all of the options you car should have, paint, suspension, engine, ect. we used to do this for our aircooled VW's. good luck.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
MAybe a previous owner removed the trunk sticker because it contained the radio code.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Many dealers pull the sticker from the trunk spare tire well upon delivery. They're then "supposed" to put the sticker in the appropriate places in the various owner's manuals.

TSB 91-99-03 deals with radio code stickers, and reads in part:

As part of the PDI, the radio sticker (with radio serial number and code number) must be removed from the spare tire well and attached to the radio card in the Owner's Information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts